Chapter 14

Adira

Holding Cells, Agent Compound Velocity

Adira is woken up by a guard standing at the cell, staring down to her. "Need a break?"

A break in the bathrooms, he means.

In fact, this is the first time a bathroom break has even been offered to both of the Agents here, and it's been quite some time in this cell.

"No. But ask little bed-wetter over there.", she snorts and points to Agent Blue sitting on his bed, drawing circles on the covers under him.

"Oh, I see how it is.", Connor sighs. "And I don't need one."

The guard chuckles, places down a tray of food again and continues his walk.

This time, Connor manages to grab it before Adira can.

Like the roles have reversed, he drinks the water, leaving the plate of food for Adira. She eyes the meal.

Mashed potatoes. Not more. She remembers eating said mashed potatoes multiple times in the compound's cafeteria.

"You just really had to force it, huh?", Adira dares to ask as she grabs the plate and pokes around in the gray, discolored mush.

But Connor grins. "What if I tell you it's been my plan all along?"

Adira shakes her head.

"Then I would laugh at your face. But I'm laughing anyways, so I wonder what that says about you."

Connor snorts. "You really hate me, do you?"

Adira nods. "Absolutely. You have a very punchable face."

The, without a warning, she suddenly throws the tray the plate and cup have been on in his direction, like a Frisbee.

He dodges it, though, then leans back and closes his eyes, exhaling. "Nothing I wouldn't say about you."

With that, silence spreads again, seconds turn into minutes and minutes turn into hours.

Like it has been before.