Chapter 12

Adira

Holding Cells, Agent Compound Velocity

"Get up."

These words wake her. Bill stands outside of her cell – unusual for him to be alone, normally he has two or three guards in his back.

For... safety reasons. Bill has every right to be afraid of what Adira can do.

But he's here, alone and looks into her cell with his hands in his pockets.

"I have a task for you."

What?

Finally!

Seems like Bill missed her handy work faster than expected.

"It'll be quick, standard protocol, but don't fuck it up."

Adira gets up from the ground and walks over to him, eyeing him through the steel bars.

"Yes."

A smile twitches on his lips as he takes out a key from his pocket and unlocks her cell gate.

~

"Just a quick and easy kill, nothing much to fuck up.", Bill states as he reads the file first and then tosses it on the table for Adira to grab. For her, it feels weirdly out of place to sit here in Bill's expensive office, with him in a suit, and her wearing nothing but her now dirtied pajama.

The chain around her ankle had left a red rim, but Adira is glad to have some time away from Agent Blue. Anything at this point.

Her hands tremble in anticipation when she grabs the file and flips through the pages.

CODE Bloody Mary

Name: Anitha Backmann

Location: Saint Luke's chapel

Association: Scam/Fraud

File Number: CLASSIFIED

Objective: Quick and easy

A quick and easy job usually contains a kill without traces. Not even a body to be left behind to find. Agents usually do leave bodies behind but a so called Clean-up is always waiting on time.

"What kind of fraud did she commit?", Adira asks her mentor.

She at least deserves some sort of backstory of her kill.

"Don't worry, do the job. Do it right and I'll take one day off your sentence.", he replies.

Alright, typical Bill. Do the dirty job, don't ask.

Standard protocol after all.

But-

One day – three weeks.

It sounds tempting.

"Alright, Sir."

Bill smiles satisfied and leans back in his chair, making the backrest screech.

"When?"

"Now."

~

The chapel is doused in an eerie light as Adira makes her way to the big tall doors at the entrance.

She isn't here to pray, although she should consider it taking it from her choice of jobs.

Focus.

She needs to find an Anitha Backmann. A quick and easy kill, no traces, no complications. One day off of her sentence.

Don't fuck it up.