Part 12. Silence

Victim, did he get it right? Did Jaddu say that Virat was a victim and that he was acting like one? How could he or anyone say something like that about Virat?

He observed Jaddu entering the room, but shut the door as he had guessed due to the lights off that Rohit is asleep.

He kept thinking about what had just happened, or what was going on between Jaddu and Virat? Finally, exhausted by the emotional rollercoaster of the day, he went to sleep.

Rohit's sleep interrupted for some reason which he couldn't put his finger on. He looked at the clock on the side table and saw that it was 2 o'clock in the morning. Before Rohit could think of anything else or what he was awake for, he noticed Virat lying on the couch.

Rohit noticed that he was awake and looking out of the window. The silence, Rohit could feel that silence on his face and the pain behind it.

He tried to get up and that movement got Virat out of his thoughts.

"Do you need something?" Virat asked, coming over and helping him sit up.

After Rohit remained silent for a while, Virat said, "Can u try to eat something? Medication is also remaining"

"I am not hungry" Rohit answered having water. 

Rohit noticed that Virat was fidgeting, but then he heard something out of the blue - an emotion for the first time - and Virat said, "Please." It made Rohit realize just how out of the ordinary things were.

Rohit said, "Okay", and Virat went into the kitchen and came back with a plate.

"Ro yaar meko bhuk lagi hai chal na wo egg roll bahot tasty hota hai", Virat whined. 

"Vi, how much apetite do u have yaar? abhi just we had coffee", Rohit said.

Virat and Rohit played their first game together and it all happened to be in Delhi. So, Virat decided to take Rohit to some places he used to go to and they had some really yummy food.

"But Ro wo egg roll, please na chal yeh last", Virat said showing his puppy eyes.

Rohit couldn't help but chuckle as he watched Virat's face light up when Rohit said yes and Virat started rambling about the time when he used to have this with Ishant when they used to play Ranji matches.

But his rambling stopped when Virat started coughing really badly, so Rohit made him sit down right away. He gave him some water and rubbed his back.

"Are you mad? Why do you speak so much?" Rohit scolded him out of worry.

Rohit was thinking about all the times he'd told him to stop talking so much, and now here he was, right in front of him, and all he could hear was silence. Only silence. 

"Is it spicy?" Virat asked as he noticed Rohit's moist eyes.

Rohit nodded in no and finished his food. Virat handed him his medicines. 

"Want to lay down?" asked Virat noticing the time and also that Rohit had his food, medicines so he should sleep now.

"After a while", Rohit remarked, and Virat responded by returning to the sofa near the window and gazing up at the sky.

The room was so silent, Rohit could almost feel it. Now he was able to admit it - it was the worst feeling he'd ever had.

Worst because it was Virat - silence with him in the room, it was the most alien thing ever. 

"How is Vamika?" Rohit asked, unable to control himself from asking. The moment Virat saw Sammy in his arms, he wanted to know how she was.

Virat turned his attention from the sky to him, "She is good as last I heard", he answered.

Last I heard, what did he mean by that. 

What does this mean? Did Virat fight with Anushka? Did he not meet her?

How long has it been since the last time? The last time was yesterday? The last time was the month before that? What is it?

Again there was a silence but this time Rohit could hear his own thoughts along with it.

He wasn't sure what to think - should he be upset at himself for not being able to do something? Or should he be sad that Jaddu was arguing with Virat? Seeing Virat like this made him even sadder.

Rohit thought to himself, "No, I am going to tell them to leave. I can't take it anymore. The longer they spend with me, the worse it will get. I will tell them to leave tomorrow morning."

Rohit thought, "Yes, they were living in a happy place without me, and that kept me going. I like the idea of them being happy, I love that illusion but I can't afford to worry about them anymore. It'll drive me crazy, and I'm already going insane enough with not being able to walk.

He attempted to lay down and was met with two supportive arms. The sensation of being embraced by his then-best friend was indescribable.

And he didn't need that feeling, not anymore.

He for sure wanted it but it was just better to push them away.

_______