27.

14 years ago

Kayden Merikh

I looked down at the 5 dollars in my hand and sighed. I have to do something before I run out of the money I have.

I want to smoke some weed and eat something.

It's been a year since I ran away form the hell hole named foster home. Surviving on money I gathered from pickpocketing.

Walking on the mostly empty streets of Las Vegas in the morning with my hood up and hands in the pockets of my hoddie, I looked around me for a prey.

A lady was approaching with an expensive looking hand bag, busy on her phone. It's a pain in the ass to steal from women because they keep their purse inside their bags.

I looked to my right and saw a man walking on the opposite footpath, wearing an expensive suit and glasses, talking on the phone with a briefcase in his hand.

Men mostly keep their wallet in the back pocket which makes it easier to steal. As expected, I saw the outline and bulge of a wallet in his right back pocket.

And looking at the man, I know it's heavy.

I was thinking about crossing the road but didn't, to not seem suspicious. I've to play safe to not get caught.

While looking for another prey, I saw the man crossing the road and walking in my direction.

What a fucking day.

I squeezed my hands inside my pockets. They started turning sweaty as the man got closer. I could feel a bead of sweat sliding on the side of my forehead. My heart beating loudly in my ears.

3...

2...

1...

I swiftly and smoothly pulled out the wallet and stuffed it in the pocket of my hoodie. I fliched when the man laughed loudly at something the person on the other end said.

His voice faded out and a smirk slowly streched on my lips.

Bingo.

___

Reaching the shadier neighborhood, I entered the alleyway where I bought weed from a man.

The sun was about to set and the air had already turned colder.

As suspected, the wallet had around two grand. If I had been carefull, I wouldn't have been robbed of seven hundred dollars. But the rest lasted me for a good ten to fifteen days. 

I still have hundred dollars with me. It should work for a few more days.

"Hey kid! Do you need some money?"

I turned around and saw a man behind me. He looked like he needed to snort cocaine really bad.

His skin was pale. Dark circles under his eyes. He didn't look as bad as the others who use it. Seems like he has just gotten into doing cocaine.

For a second I considered telling him to stop doing cocaine. But then I realised how dumb it will be.

If only telling someone to stop using it worked.

I had enough money for now. But more money is always good. But more money also means attracting danger when you're living on the streets.

But I've to take the money for her as well.

"Yes." I replied.

He walked closer and I tensed. Ready to pounce as soon as I detect something suspicious. He might have seen me steal the rich man's wallet and now is trying to steal it from me.