61: My Angel

Shortly after I went home, I saw a thug who looked detestable holding my stepfather by the head but the thing that caught my eyes even more, was the sight of him shrinking in fear. Being interrogated the next day by the disciplinary board after Seungjae's mother demanded they investigate, and I said the answers the expected to their predetermined questions, but I didn't expect his mother to give me a second chance. I thought that I didn't have a choice, that I would disappoint my mother but his mom gave me a second chance, to fool everyone so I could stay and make my mom proud. It didn't matter if my score gave her temporary disappointment so long as I could see her, happy that I was getting along and staying in school even though it was as hellish as home. Then that bastard told me two days after she left the world, that the person I dedicated my life to making happy, no longer resided in the hospital that I was so happy to go to with my bus fare. 

My mother, Soo-ah Lee, dead because I wasn't enough to help her. And she was marked down as an unrelated person because that asshole I had for a step-father, ran away with the money and abandoned me. 

=============================================

WEAK HERO: LAST ONE | READ IT ON WEBTOON

=============================================

Her urn was decorated plainly like the rest, but I couldn't help the loneliness that pervaded through me, worsening as the nurses chattered about what I did to deserve being left alone in the world as I was, and there was no one to praise me for my efforts anymore. "Hey, are you okay?" She was part of the students who were there to give a presentation, on the middle schools and how to behave there. "Me? My name's R/s/n." She always hung out with me even when I was working, apparently she wasn't a good student so skipping class or days of school entirely wasn't out of the ordinary. She was the only normal part of my life after I found myself alone, which is why I didn't tell her when I started a fight with Seungjae and his goons after, they crumpled my mom's last note to me and made fun of it.

All of that anger? The pain i felt with the loss and loneliness? It merged into one as I took them on and flicked them away like flies after Seungjae collapsed to the floor in shock, after only receiving one punch to the face from me. I wasn't a flower like how I appeared and came off to anyone around me any longer, I was a weed that had endured the rain and wind on a cliff, nothing could stop me from lashing out and keeping that resentment inside any longer. "Donald?" R/s/n had been called after teachers got involved due to being recorded as my legal guardian, after my step-father couldn't be reach following my mom's death, "What happened here?" The thought that she would be mad at me and beat me like my step-father, show me a disappointed face that I knew would hurt almost as much if it came from my mom, it was why the aftermath was particularly nerve-wracking. 

But her voice was only full of concern, and she stood with her back to me while glaring at the adults, having been only fifteen at the time herself...she was up against a mountain to protect me. "Donald..." She hugged me after we left the office, having now been blacklisted from any available upper school she could attend in Korea, "Next time, you don't hold it in. You don't hold back, and you try to persuade with your words first." She had given me advice that I carried with me for a while after that, "If you use your words, you can influence and convince them to join you. It could be your most valuable asset along with your intelligence." She walked me back to where she lived after that, and it was an average house for someone going to such a rich kid school like herself, "You can stay here for the night. I'm going to make some calls." 

Sitting on her couch as she went into her room to make the calls, I looked around and noticed her house was average but cozy, it actually felt like a home compared to where I was before. "Donald, I'll be teaching you with some resources until you get to middle school." She pat my head after she left her room, "So, let's try our hardest to get you prepared to socialize in middle school." R/s/n never mentioned where she would be attending high school to me, only that I needed to focus so that I would know human behaviors and how to get a read on someone, so as not to repeat the past unnecessarily. Three years passed like that, but on the first day of school...R/s/n left the house and placed a letter on the counter, explaining that the house was mine but she would pay for everything. And, that she wouldn't be coming back for a long time but wanted me to find fulfillment in whatever I decided to pursue.

Encouraging me to follow what dreams or goals I had, which made me choose to follow the vow I made after she plucked me away from that school, I would use the greed of others to fuel me to my goal...a goal that I had a feeling existed at the time but had no way to describe it. 

==========================================

"He seems to be doing well." R/s/n commented as she read a letter from Donald that was forwarded to her, from the address she initially sent him in order to protect her privacy, since she had no desire to further meddle in his life more than she already had. Though she was completely unaware of how it would turn out in the future, as well as how he still remembered her in some way after all those years, but chose not to say anything because he didn't visually recognize her. He only remembered the kind middle school girl who aided him after he was orphaned, not the cold woman he saw watching the outcome of the clash between Cheongang and Union forces. Though back to their past, and Donald was already forging connections to Chungil Lee as the leader of the kids who did dirty work, getting in contact with him directly after Chungil noted his intelligence for his age. 

Donald manipulating the man like a fiddle as he headed the beat down of his own step-father with Myles, kicking him in the face while mockingly stating, "Here's my thanks." Repeating the action and words, until finally bringing up the fact that his former "father-figure" owed money to a lot of different people, "Those people will find good work for you and contact you." He broke three of his fingers after, since it had been three years since the bastard ran and left him with nothing until, his guardian angel raised him and left soon after. Sabotaging his former homeroom teacher as well, visiting him which caused the man some shock as a now older Donald stood before him, more confident and definitely harder to control than before. The calls that R/s/n made having landed the teacher in hot water with his current position at the school, three years later being in jeopardy for how he handled Donald's situation, and biasedly took Seungjae's side for the money. 

"Congrats on getting married teacher." Jung couldn't respond without his voice shaking, as Donald affirmed he was the same boy he harassed before,  "Yes, you're right. Thank you for remembering me." Revealing to  a now eased Jung, that he was the reason the former head of school affairs had been fired due to his digging of info, "Those notes you took still make me sad to this day and will do so for a while." He referenced the fake notes that he wrote about him while, Donald still had hope before his mother died, "But it's fine because of the good memories I have with you." Donald smiled as he revealed to a now angered Jung, "Despite that, the fact that you made my mom stay in the morgue for two days.....isn't a good memory. No matter how much I think about it."

The blast with his info and dirty deeds going out to all teachers around them, as Donald smirked while remarking about the size of Jung's secretive life of greed that he kept hidden from others. Leaving after revealing that he was responsible for the email blast, and that it was sent to the board for investigation as well as Jung's fiance. "Sis, hurry up!" He saw a young girl with red mixed h/c hair running down the street, barely older than a ten year old. "Calm down, Y/s/n. I can't keep up with you." A fourteen year old Y/n L/n stated as she herded her sister home, having been dragged to the elementary school so her sister could see what a school was like, having been homeschooled per their dad's overprotective nature. "Send the guys to the parking lot." Donald turn his head away from the peculiar sight of family, having gone to further rough up Jung with the help of Myles and his friends.

Waiting for Myles as he finished up what Donald asked him to do, strategizing how he could find someone with an intellect similar to his own, that could manage the people inside the school like an overgrown boring doll house. Little did he know that he would meet that person, and that it would make his obscure goal more visible and whole than it ever was before.

==========================================

To be continued...

==========================================

Going to be the last chap for a while since official is only at 251 and my unofficial on manhuascan.io is stopped at 261.

Thanks for the support! - Grace.