Chapter 39

Y/n Valentine
July 1st, 2027
Los Angeles, California
__________________
Today was the game that I'd been waiting on ever since the lakers game back in 2023. Today was the day I was proposing to A'ja. I flew her parents, Lish, and Dawn out to "watch the game" but I was gonna propose at the end of the game. I headed to the locker room with the biggest smile on my face as I held the small box in my hands. Angel looked at me and turnt her her sideways.
"Why you do giddy?" She asked as Zia shoved me playfully.
"Right, I ain't never seen you cheese so hard," she said. I opened the box showing them and Angel Gasped.
"No!"
"Yes! And you can't tell her. I'm doing it at the end of the game. So hopefully we don't get our asses whooped," I said as she laughed.
"Never that bookie. Awe I'm so happy for you. I just know she finna cry," Zia said as I nodded.
"And is. Y'all know A'ja a big cry baby. That's my cry baby though," I said as coach walked in. We did our pregame talk and went over our Defensive assignments once more, before it was time to go out. As I did every game I prayed before stepping onto the court and now it was time to make magic happen twice.
———————————
A'ja Wilson
July 1st,2027
Los Angeles, California
__________________
"Baby you want some snacks or something?" I asked as the man came toward us with the cotton candy.
"I want pink mommy!" Kai said as she clapped excitedly, sitting on Allisha's lap. I paid for her cotton candy and gave her a little at a time so she wouldn't get sticky.
"Mommy is mama gonna play ball today?" A'kai asked as I fed her a tiny piece of Cotton candy.
"Yes ma'am. Lish did you see that post that bleacher report made? They think I'm taking the South Carolina job for free," I said as she laughed.
"They crazy as hell thinking you'd do some like that for no money,"
"Nah for real. I'll go run with them all day but to actually coach? Yeah they gotta break bread for that one," I said as she laughed. After a good first half, the sparks were up 15 on the mystics and I had no doubt they were gonna win. They opened the second half with  Jordin Canada getting y/n an easy inbound lay, that lead to an and-1.
"And-1!" I yelled on the side lines as she laughed shaking her head. She got back on defense and they defended them all the way until the shot clock was at 2. The other player went up for a jump shot and Angel blocked her shot, causing them to get a shot. Lock violation.
"Yeah ten!" I cheered. I lived watching her play in the league, because she was actually getting really good matchups and otw Andy coming east. I loved the grind that she had to go with it all though. After the game ended, we stuck around on the court, as I signed a few things for people. Shortly after y/n came over, still sweaty. She pressed a kiss onto my lips before kissing Kai's cheek. ESPN came over to do the postgame interview, so I stepped back, but y/n wrapped her arms around my waist keeping me close.
"Y/n, that was a heck of a performance. You completely dominated on the glass, and you have logged in your 150th double-double in a Sparks uniform, setting the franchise record. How, is my question, just how," Holly said as y/n laughed, wiping the sweat off her forehead.
"Uh I mean I was just in my spots, and my teammates were finding me. Angel definitely helped big time, our connection is A1, so we were just getting a lot of high low action going. But yeah mostly my teammates just looking for me, and then on the other side me being aggressive, and active on the boards, not giving up on plays. And yeah," she said as I smiled proudly.
"Got ya, and then lastly, I know we spoke about this pregame, but you have something you wanted to ask?" She gave the signal as everyone came up surrounding us.
"Yeah. A'ja, since 2017 you were my biggest crush ever. I dreamed of the day I would finally get a chance to spit game, and although it took me six years, I would do ever single second of it over again," y/n said as the cameras faced us. I knew exactly what was about to happen, yet somehow I wasn't prepared.
"You gave me a beautiful little girl, who is everything and then some, and for that I couldn't thank you enough. You are the most pure soul, and I love you with everything in me," Lish passed her a tiny box and she got down on her knee, "A'ja Riyadh Wilson. Will you do me the honors, and be my wife?" I couldn't hold it in anymore and I burst into tears as I nodded my head yes.
"Yes!" I said as she stood up kissing me. I didn't even care about the ring. I pulled away smiling at her.
"I'm gonna kill you. This is why you flew everyone here huh?" I asked as she nodded making me laugh.
"Well, congratulations are in order two times for the Wilson-Valentine family. Thank you all for watching tonight's presentation of WNBA, this is Holly Rowe signing out," holly ended it before congratulating us and walking off. We pulled away and i let y/n place the ring on my finger.
"It's so pretty. Fuck I'm gonna cry again," I said fanning my face. Lish passed me a Kleenex and I gasped as the realization hit me. I slapped her arm.
"You knew the whole time and ain't tell me nothing," I said as she laughed.
"I love you too A," she said as I stuck my tongue out.
"All of y'all knew and left me blind sided. Did you know mommy was getting this ring too Kai?" I asked as the toddler nodded.
"I picked!" I laughed cause how did my three year old keep this from me.
"Really?" I asked more so to y/n who nodded.
"Yeah I narrowed it down to two and let Kai pick," I awed as that made it ten times more special to me.
"I'm just like that baby. You were surprised huh?"
"Like hell. Well, go change so we can leave," I said tapping her on the butt. She side eyed me and I laughed knowing she hates that.
"Quit that. And yeah when I come back, we have reservations for dinner," I nodded and stared at my ring, as I talked to my parents and Coach Staley about everything. I was engaged. I was finna be someone's whole wife! I couldn't imagine a better ending to tonight. A'ja Wilson-Valentine does have a nice ring to it. After y/n came out we all headed to the restaurant and the whole way there I couldn't help but to admire my ring. It was fucking gorgeous, she did her biggest ones with This.

 It was fucking gorgeous, she did her biggest ones with This

Excuse all errors
A'jah 🫶🏽