Prologue

Author P.O.V

A sun is high in the sky, as it is the middle of afternoon. A couple is hugging each other tightly. The girl have tears in her eyes, worrying about the boy's safety as he was about to go on a dangerous mission to kill a demon.

"Y/N..." the boy said, his arms wrapped tightly around the girl's form. "I will try my best to be careful, alright?" He said. The girl said nothing, just buries his face deeper into her fiancé's chest.

"Why can't I go with you? I'm your Tsugoko... won't I learn more things if I go with my teacher?" She said. Her fiancé just smiles at what she said. She frowns at the way he reacted.

"This mission might be dangerous. The demon might be one of the Twelve Kizuki. I don't want to drag you along with me on a dangerous mission, Y/N..." he said. Y/N only looks down at what he said. She feel fingers being placed on her chin, tilting her head up to look at him as tears streams down her cheeks. "Please don't cry..." he said.

"Promise me you'll come back, Kyou-Chan. Please just promise me" she said, calling the boy with the nickname he loves so much that is given by the girl he loves with all his heart. Kyoujuro smiles brightly at her, and nods his head. The sight of his smile makes her heart flutters.

"I'll try my best..." he said, smiling softly at her. Y/N can only smiles sadly at him. He lifts his hands, cupping both of her cheeks tenderly. He gently wipe the tears that slips out of her eyes. "I love you, Y/N..." he said. Y/N smiles softly at what he said. She places her hands on top of his that are still cupping her cheeks.

"I love you too, my little flame..." she said. She leans up and gently places her lips against her lover's who in turn pulls her closer. The couple kisses each other gently, yet passionately.

Kyoujuro pulls away from Y/N. "I'll get going now" he said. He turn his head and notice his little brother, who stares at the two of them. He lift his hand and gestures him to come closer. "Senjuro... I'll leave my fiancé to you, alright? Take care of her for me..." he said.

"I will, Ani-ue. Take care out there and please be careful during your battle" he said. Y/N lift her hand, placing it on the younger sibling's head. Senjuro turn his head to look at the girl, making her smile softly at him.

Kyoujuro smiles at his brother, ruffling his head after Y/N remove her hand. "Keep training hard, alright" he said. Senjuro nods his head, making him smile. He turn to look at Y/N and places a soft kiss on top of her forehead. He smiles at them one last time. He slowly turn around and walks away.

Y/N smiles sadly as she watch the love of her life walks away. She lift her hands, placing them against his chest. She closes her eyes as she send a silent prayer to God, praying that God would protect him. She opens her eyes to look at Kyoujuro, who's figure gradually becomes smaller.

Please be safe, Kyoujuro...

***

Y/N currently swiping the ground with Senjuro. They hear a soft fluttering sound and looks up, noticing a small black crow. Y/N instantly recognized the crow as her fiancé's kasugai crow as it landed in front of them.

Y/N's eyes widened as a shaky gasp escapes her lips. Tears starts to stream down her cheeks as she falls on her knees. Senjuro scoots closer to her, making her wrap her arms around him.

"N-No..." she cried out. The Kasugai crow is here to inform that her beloved fiancé have passed away during his mission, battling against the Upper Moon 3. Her body starts to shake. "Kyou... why did you leave me?" She said.

"N-Nee-San. A-Ani-Ue is..." Senjuro cried out. His hand clutching the front of her shirt. Y/N gently run her hand through his hair comfortingly. But she knew that it won't be enough to comfort the boy. The boy just lost the only brother he have.

Time-skip

Y/N and Senjuro sits next to each other. The Kakushi enters the house, carrying the coffin where the deceased Flame Hashira lays in.Y/N and Senjuro bows at Kakushi as a sign of gratitude. The Kakushi also bows at the two of them. They turn to the coffin and gently opens the lid. They instantly broke into tears at the sight.

Y/N gently place a hand on his cheek. The skin feels cold against the palm of her hand. "K-Kyoujuro..." she cried out. Her heart aching painfully against her chest. The sight of her lover laid lifelessly inside the coffin is the one sight that she have been dreaded to see. But she knew it can't be avoided given their job as Demon Slayers.

She lower her head and place a soft kiss on top of his forehead. She closes her eyes tightly as tears streams down her cheeks, landing on Kyoujuro's cheek. She slowly pulls away to look at him.

"W-Why does i-it h-have to be y-you? If only I go with you on this mission. I might have a been to help you. It would have been better if it was me who died instead of you. You still have your brother... your father. While I had no one but you, Kyou-Chan..." she said. She feel a hand on her shoulder. She turn her head to see Senjuro.

"Please don't say that, Onee-San. Ani-Ue would be upset if he hears you say that..." he said. Y/N only wraps her arms around the younger boy. Senjuro wraps his arms around her in return. "It's not true. You're not alone... I see you as my sister. You'll always be even though you haven't married Ani-Ue yet" he said. Y/N only smiles sadly at the boy's words.

She turn to look at Kyoujuro. She place her hand on his head, gently running her hand through his head. She smiles sadly as she stares at him.

"I promise I'll train harder to be stronger like you. So I can protect the people who are weaker and less fortunate. Just like you always had. I promise that I will continue your will" she said.

I know you will, Y/N... a voice echoed in her head. She turn her head to the side and notice a silhouette. Tears starts to stream down her cheeks once again when she realize it's none other than her beloved fiancé.

"I love you too, Y/N

"I love you too, Y/N. May in another life... we'll see each other again. But now, please continue to live. Please be happy even without me. And if you start to feel down and lost. Remember to set your heart ablaze..." he said. Y/N smiles sadly as she nods her head at his words.

His figure starts to glow as he slowly fades away. Y/N looks down as tears starts to stream down her cheeks. She turn to look at Kyojurou inside the coffin. She smiles sadly as she stares at him.

"I love you too, Kyou-Chan..." she said. She gives him a weak smile. Tears continue to stream down her cheeks as she stares at his closed eyes. "Rest in peace... my love" she said.

*to be continued*