48

"You don't understand, Imani."

Almost a full month.

Imani had given her husband the cold shoulder, being as petty as she could possibly fathom. For almost an entire month.

It wasn't until last night that he had found the bedroom door unlocked. She had given him the chance of sleeping into their bed, where he made the decision to do unspeakable deceiving things between her legs instead.

Now she laid naked, wrapped up in silk mulberry sheets and guilt as she listened to her husband's words. None of this was a surprise to her. She didn't necessarily blame the man for wanting to protect her. But cutting her chance of a friendship with Adeline Russi? It wasn't fair. None of it was.

She ignored the throbbing feeling between her legs, eyes heavy as she sighed once more. "You've no idea how much you mean to me Imani Kholodov."

The shake of her head drew out a single tear. "Yes I do. But I've only seen such a graphic glimpse of it, Valis."

The two laid in bed for another moment. His breathing finally at a regular rhythm when he sat up. Turning to sit on the edge of the bed, Valis ran his hair through the tangled remnants of his sex hair.

"I won't negotiate this, Imani. Not your safety. Not the child you carry inside you. I'm sorry."

Small rustling was heard until silence. The air cracked a small whip before a pillow came flying to Valis's back. Imani was pissed, understanding and hurt all at the same time. The man kept his back to his wife, hearing the bathroom door shut softly with her sniffles.

Imani didn't want to be isolated from the world. Although she is sure her husband's intentions are solely focused on their safety, she can't help but wonder what else he was worried about.

The shower she took was quick, relaxing with another much needed pampering. The long sleeve brown sweater was over her skin as she layered two pairs of black leggings. The steps she took downstairs were faint as she did her usual preparation of breakfast for her family.

A small buzz on her phone gained her attention as she was mid sip of her peach lemonade. Putting the sugary drink down, she opened to see a familiar text.

Travis Morcan: Another one came. Where do you want it?

Another letter.

From Nikolai.

They've been coming so frequently lately, yet the one she wrote for him still remained hidden. Her fingers were quick with a text. Putting the phone down, she prepared her son's food, putting everything on a large tray before slowly walking up the steps.

Xander sat up slowly, yawning as his mother woke him up. A warm cloth to his face and quick morning routine later, Xander was at his little table, eating away with his mother in their room. "Do you have any special plans today?"

Imani looked at the curious boy, his dark brown eyes in wonder as he thought about the endless possibilities. "I might read today mama." He shrugged, smiling as he drank some orange juice.

Hours had passed before Xander was back out. Late morning almost noon, Imani had tucked the boy back into bed for an early nap. Closing the door she went to her bedroom, arms full with the messy tray as she observed the clean bed.

No Valis?

Going downstairs, her frown was given. Her husband's untouched plate was in the same place on the counter. Imani quickly washed the dishes, tossing the untouched exposed food to the garbage before washing his dish.

"Valis?" She tried to call out for him, voice slightly rasped as it still remained soft. Her eyes glanced at the time, rushing her boots on before she made her way outside to the main compound. The snow trickled down early this morning. The scarf was warming her neck as she tightened her arms around her thick sweater, waist tickled from the inside fuzz.

The familiar willow tree was within her reach as she saw Travis Morcan awaiting her. He looked around before laying his eyes on her. "He wants to get in here, Imani. How long do I keep this charade up?"

She gasped, snatching the letter from him and opening it. Travis and Imani had gotten closer within the night of her attack. Granted she knew he was slowly, very slowly, getting too attached to her. But he confided in her into saying that he was in fact sent here by Nikolai Kholodov.

Sent here to sneak him inside to avenge his father's death. Travis had grown to dislike anyone Kholodov related, but adored Sontarc as his home. He enjoyed the few moments of humanity he had as a soldier for the small community within the walls.

Imani reads over the letter, promises of harming his own brother, even as far as his nephew if that's what it took for the Don to respond to him.

"Why is he doing this? It's not just his father, doesn't he hate him too?" Imani sighed, head against the cold bark as she listened to Travis talk. "You didn't hear? Joseph died."

What?

Joseph?

"Joseph? As in his husband? Oh God. What happened?" She felt her eyes get teary, fingertips on her lips as he nodded slowly. The crisp air made their bodies shiver lightly. "A while back, Valis ordered a hit in the remaining mafias that hid in Europe. I believe Italy to be specific. A massive fire broke out, some debris went flying from small explosions. Joseph was caught in the debris and-"

Imani shook her head, chest heavy as she racked out a soft sob. "The man had been pissed ever since. I mean, I guess he tried go meet up with some of Valis's alliances a few months ago."

Revenge.

For his partner.

Nikolai wanted to kill everyone and his brother for the death of his husband.

Just how Valis wanted to kill everyone and his father for the assault and kidnapping of her. For the death of their child.

Imani couldn't let Nikolai hurt Valis.

She wouldn't let him.