35

Another contraction hit.

Imani took a deep breath. Steps slow in the late evening, she walked the long pathway. Gravel scraping together underneath her flats. Each patrolling guard stopped, either smiling or greeting her. Whispering and talking low in their earpieces to confirm that they do have eyes on her.

Imani was one day.

One day early from her due date, and the contractions were hitting her hard. Valis had been by her side through her entire pregnancy, nearly to the point of tying her down as their Family doctor had ordered her to be bedridden.

She wasn't sick or anything that she considered serious. But it was her second pregnancy, her first one that she has carried to a full term.

"Valis, stop it." The sigh of irritation flowed through her, feeling the Don on her heels as she tried to walk away. All she wanted was grapes.

Grapes and a McIntosh apple with mustard to be exact. But the man wouldn't even let her walk to the kitchen. Her hand swatted at his wrist as he held her swollen sides. "Get off." She whipped her head to the side, looking up at the man.

He shook his head, turning her waddles around and guiding her back to the bed. In a fit of anger, he took the hit from her elbow to his chest. Angrily, she stomped off, waddling fast back to the room while cursing him in their tongue.

"I'll get you your grapes, flower. Please get in bed."

The familiar willow tree was in her view. Only a small hill to walk down and she was there, with both of her babies. The letter was fisted in her hand, cold water bottle in the other as she bit her tongue.

Sharp gasp leaving her lips as the contraction hit once more.

Then again.

Then again.

She shuddered a breath, swallowing a moan as she slapped her hand on the willow tree bark. The cool touch on her hands as she kneeled in the summer grass. The night warm air tickles her skin as she digs into the area.

A hard contraction tore through her, a whispered cry released as she touched her belly. Dark brown eyes widen at the sudden touch underneath her dress. She kept her eyes squeezed, fingers interlaced with her husband as he knelt besides her. "Why aren't you in bed, flower? You're water broke..shit."

She whimpered a cry, tears stinging at the rough sensations of her belly. Her baby was ready.

He wanted to leave her womb. Wanted to meet them in person.

He wanted to meet them, now.

She cried, strained sobs leaving her lips as Valis yelled into the night. Multiple men came sprinting to the tree, helping the Dons wife to her feet as more men scattered around, running and waking up the Family doctors. "I can't..oh Valis, I can't."

The cries continued, strained and soft as she found herself on the grass. Valis supported the back of his woman's neck, watching helplessly as he kept their fingers interlaced. "Imani, my flower."

Valis kissed his wife.

Her chest heaving as she squeezed his fist.

The men had managed to pick Imani Kholodov up and back to the home of the Kholodov. She laid in bed. Free hand fisting the sheets as she dug her knees into the bed.

Relief came after every push she gave in her knee squatting position. Eyes watering more, she looked to her side, accepting his words into her ears as he encouraged her.

The doctor stood to his feet carefully, squatting a bit as he nodded at the Don.

"It's a bit past the neck now, one more push I believe."

Imani gasped, looking at her husband while nodding fast. "Go..go I'll be f-fine." She hesitated but let his hand go to help bring her child into the world.

"Whenever you're ready, flower."

The doctors spoke softly, letting the Don guide his gloved fingertips around as his wife pushed. Her face fell into the pillow, arms weak as she screamed.

No sound came out of her voice but the motion helped her. Body shaking she inhaled before silently screaming and pushing again.

And again.

Then she stopped.

Imani was turned on her back carefully. Pillows supporting her upper body as she listened to the wailing of her baby. In her husband's arms, the man stood on his feet holding a tiny baby in his arms.

He held his son for a second, only a second before cutting the supported cord. Valis watched as his boy opened and closed such tiny fists, tiny feet flailing about as he looked up.

Imani Kholodov.

Tears falling as a tired smile was on her face. He handed the baby to her, watching the life dance in both of her eyes. "Our baby.. Valis. A baby boy." She whispered.

He nodded slowly, trembling lips against hers as she cried again. They watched the doctor carefully cover the boy, carrying him across the room to be tended to.

The parents cried softly. His kisses give nothing but such pleasuring comfort as she fisted his shirt, crying into his neck.

They celebrated their son.

They mourned the one under the willow tree.

Faint patterns of rain hit the outside windows.

All four of them crying in the family that they have made to be theirs.

She sniffled, eyes fluttering open as the man whispered sweet words to her. "I love you, my sweet flower. I love you for the woman you are. Thank you, thank you Imani Kholodov for blessing my life with your existence."

"Valis.."

"There isn't any way I can repay you for this, Imani. I thank you for giving me a will to live. Thank you for being my best friend, my lover. Even better, my wife and the mother of my child."

She nodded slowly, softly calling his name as she accepted a kiss from him again. "We're parents, Valis.  Listen to him, baby. He's crying."

And so they listened to their child crying.

Wailing with strong healthy lungs.

Their son.