6

Tonight was it.

Tonight was the night that Imani gives a sacred part of herself to someone she loves. To someone who loves her.

The idea of being married to him was pushed away temporarily. The need of doing this with him felt more exaggerating than she can admit.

It was almost embarrassing.

Imani wanted Valis inside of her, bad.

She watched Valis spar in the distance. Her legs were numb from the picnic table she sat at. The wood pricked her shorts, jolting her now and then as she looked over at him.

"So like..are you guys dating?"

Imani looked at the group she was eating with. She wouldn't necessarily call them friends, since she barely talks to anyone already. Her small smile made them laugh softly, all excited and greedy for the details.

After the argument with her mother, she was left alone. Her mother cocooned in her bedroom that remainder of the day. She hadn't eaten dinner or breakfast with her daughter, making the loads of guilt heavier than last.

But now, Imani sat at a table, with familiar faces as she popped a cherry between her fingers. The irony made her chest tighten, listening to the distant cheers as Valis held up a black flag, securing another victory.

Some of the men parted from the group. "I should toss that poem away then, it'd be a weird introduction since you're dating someone like Valis Kholodov."

Imani scooted over, giving the soldier some room as he sat next to them. She looked at the girl across from her who threw a grape at the boy. "This is your brother, Hannah? Theo..right?" She took his handshake, biting her smile as he kissed the back of her hand. "The only Marley you can't smoke, of course. But-" another grape hit him. One of the men grimacing at Theo's cheesy lines. "You can fucking blow me, Parker."

He was a comedian.

Imani laughed with the others, hands clammy as she put a piece of coiled hair behind her ears. "You like it here?" She asked while everyone went into their own convos.

"Hell yeah, I mean. Who doesn't like living here when I can see you every day." He leaned towards Imani, his lips to her ears as he confirmed the slight tension between them. "Don't think that pretty dark skin can hide that blush on your face. I can see it-"

"Flower."

Imani pulled from Theo, looking at the hand that grabbed her upper arm. Valis Kholodov was towering her, a shadow of terror as he looked down at her.

His attention was at Theo soon after. "Are you ready?"

Not this.

It's so rare for Imani to make and keep a good conversation with people. She was hoping that Valis wouldn't ruin it. She nodded, taking a handful of fruits. "I am." She got up, bumping into his chest. The trip made his eyes leave Theo and to her face. She smiled at the man, looking over her shoulder and bidding them all goodbye. "We'll see you at the coasters, Imani!"

Imani let his hands grab her waist, leading her to through the area as they found themselves distant from the gathered community.

"I can't believe you kissed me. What did your father say?" She breathed out, the sight of their willow tree in the distance. The breeze made few branches sway the green I'm the air.

"He didn't say anything, I've been at my place all this time. Are you okay? What about your mom?"

Imani thought back to her mother, who still is in her bedroom. She shook her head, facing him as her hands rubbed her sudden goosebumps. "Not too good, either. I said some bad things to her."

He nodded, looking over his shoulder before looking back at her. "What business do you have with Theo Marley? If there's something you need to tell me-"

"There isn't any business. Nothing except for the fact that he probably likes me. And one of the girls over there, Hannah? She's his older sister. Why?"

Imani crossed her arms, weight shifted to one leg as she stared at Valis. He nodded slowly, eyes roaming her body.

This wasn't the same.

Yes, Valis and Imani were in fact together. But the fact remained that he still never told his father. Imani didn't need or want Don Kholodov's approval for dating Valis. But she wanted her boyfriend to know that his fears were just that.

Fears.

He swiftly changed the subject, a raise in his eye row. "About these coasters that I heard about..you wouldn't happen to be busy tonight tsvetok?"
Flower

She bit her lips, body slightly tense as she thought about his promise to be with her under the willow tree. "I'll be home around twelve, maybe one. I want to go hang out with some..friends if that's what I can call it."

The sound of his phone ringing cut off his chance to say something. He sighed, taking it out and sneering at the called id. Looking at Imani, his lips found hers. "Tonight, Imani. Or I'll find you myself."

Imani found herself at the gardens, walking slowly as she's met with who she remembers as Hannah Marley. "Is it true..?" Hannah wrapped her arms round her, face expressed with pity as Imani raised a simple eyebrow.

"Is what true?" She asked quietly.

When Hannah gave no response just the slowly guilt look of pity, it made the nerves in Imani intensify.

"Hannah..is what true?"

***

It wasn't long until Valis found himself sitting in his father's office. Staring at three signed signatures on a piece of typed paper.

A contract.

A contract that will tie the family of Vladmins to the Kholodov. A smaller mafia that was rival of more than half of the alliances his father had made over the years. And the Don signed a contract with them, solidifying it.

An arranged marriage.

His father gave an award-winning smile, two cigars lit as he handed one to the father of Anna Vladmin. The men clinked glasses before drinking it down. Her mother forced the smile, the tears a false support as she could no longer hold them in.

She hugged and kissed her daughter, whispering good nothing's in the woman's ear. The girl said nothing, following Valis and just stared at the sheet of paper.

The single tear finally fell from her eyes, wiped away fast from her mother. The young girl sat up straighter, a smile mimicking her mother's as she let them fall out her eyes.

Don Kholodov wouldn't make his son kill a 'worthless' girl like Imani. He'd just marry the boy off.

Imani.

A woman he planned to marry.

A woman he intended to have a family with.

How will he explain this to her? How will he see her face tonight under the willow tree? How can he..

Valis tried to control his breath, tried to contain the disgust he felt looking at his father once more.

Walk out.

Get up and walk out.

Don't.

Valis shot up, his hands grabbing his chair before launching it at the bookshelf. The shelves fell with everything it held, scattering everywhere. Anna and her parents were quick to flinch.

The family stood up, away from the tantrum the man threw. Don Kholodov remained in his seat, budding the lit cigar before pouring another drink. Valis was seething, chest heaving as he placed his hands on the desk, staring his father down.

"Trust me, moy mal'chik." The Russian Don finished the burning alcohol, meeting his son's stare with one of his own.
My boy.

"Ty ne vyigrayesh' u menya."
You won't win against me.