20

Slow.

Slow.

Slow.

Imani gasped, biting her bottom lip as she clung to the bathroom doorway. The invisible needles shot through her legs at every aching step she took.

Valis was somewhere in their suite home. She had the poor man running around everywhere, doing everything at her beck and call. He hadn't complained once.

"It's my home too, baby. I like my things clean, with or without your influence."

So many soups and teas.

"Just a small bite, baby. I made sure every part of the bread had butter on it."

The golden toasted grilled cheese looked amazing. She felt the grumbling in her belly as she smelt the tomato soup beside it.

The disappointment in her sigh made her gasp, shock in her eyes at the sudden invasion of her mouth. The woman put her hands on Valis's chest. He slowly pulled his lips from hers with a smirk on his face obvious as he pulled away. "I'll eat this later, how about some scrambled eggs?"

And she had to use the restroom.

She had to go bad.

Here Imani stood, clinging to the doorway with the toilet only such a few steps away. It was calling her name. Imani grunted, eyes shut as she forced her left foot forward. The tingles warmed up before piercing her nerves as she carefully planted it on the floor. She cried softly, wincing as she realized there wasn't anything for her to hold on to.

This was stupid.

So damn stupid.

She couldn't do anything without crying.

Couldn't sleep without crying.

Couldn't eat.

Her own husband bathed her while she just sat and cried.

Imani took a step back, holding on to the wooden doorway as the anger riled in her chest. She sniffled, wiping underneath her nose as she tried to control her breaths.

It's okay.

It's okay.

Imani sniffled again, face slowly scrunching up as she felt the tears fall. Her sobs were soft, angry and full of frustration as she rested her head against the opened door.

It's not okay.

It's not.

Familiar hands touched her sides, letting her back fall against the man's chest.

"It's okay, baby. You've made so much progress just now."

He let her cry, carried her into the bathroom and gave her privacy.

Getting back into the bed, she watched the beautiful man settle her eggs, scrambled, right over her legs.

"Thank you." She murmured softly. He nodded, giving her a smile and her fork. She took it kindly, smiling as she took the first bite.

So good.

The soft moan was quick. Taste buds dancing in joy from tasting something besides soup.

Valis ate the lukewarm soup and grilled cheese slowly, making sure to give her time to eat the soft eggs. Imani managed to eat less than half before giving him a pained look.

She didn't want the food to go to waste. He took the plate, finishing her eggs for her before settling it on top of his half eaten food. "Are you tired?"

Imani gave a simple nod, letting the man carefully guide her further into the bed. "I'll be back around noon okay? Your phone is charging right here."

Imani was almost out like a light, as he intended.

He took the empty cup of juice, sighing as the drugs did it's work. The man felt awful for doing this to her. But she wasn't getting enough rest. Yes, she was sleeping through the night. But she gave him the understanding of different meanings to the term sleep.

Imani wasn't waking up energized or slightly refreshed. The woman was waking up exhausted and drained. He listened to the familiar soft breaths, chest rising and falling in long strides.

Valis gave the woman a kiss. Soft and with meaning as he grabbed all the leftovers and trash, leaving the bedroom.

It wasn't long until he was outside of his main door, into the halls of the main compound. He locked it, securing a small piece of his sanity to hoping no one would disturb Imani while she slept.

The young man went on his journey, avoiding and returning every small greeting he was given. Outside his father's office, he opened the door. The cold room remained as it was.

Folders and papers everywhere, torn to shreds. Secret compartments opened and emptied. Valis closed the door behind him, walking around as he neared the large window.

This is what he would see.

It wasn't about the miles and miles of greenery.

It wasn't about the distant willow tree among the other large thick trees. It wasn't even morally about the citizens or soldiers of slmtarc.

It was always him looking down on his own people. Don Michael Kholodov was towering over them all, watching the destruction of that night.

The late night came soon, Valis still stood in that spot. Watching men spar left and right. Watching women and children go visit the early gardens to leave empty handed. Watching small families go rest their flowers among the dead.

He saw it all.

Valis didn't want to see it anymore. Not in the ways his father had done all these years.

His thoughts were disturbed, a ringing of his cellphone had him taking it out. The caller ID barely flashed before he was answering it, already locking the office behind him.

"Valis?"

He listened to her voice, soft and trembling as he realized she was awake sooner than he thought. The door was in his sights as he opened it. Leaning against the hall walls, her knees to her chest, Imani kept the phone pressed to her face.

Terrified.

Imani finally exhaled a breath, eyes completely red as exhaustion took her over.

"Imani."

She walked. He bit back his smile, helping her up after locking the door behind him. Dim lights in their view as he helped her to her feet.

"Please don't.." she pushed at his chest, making him step back some.

"Imani?"

The shake of her head made him nervous, anxious. He was quick, wiping the few tears that fell from her face. The quiver in her bottom lip slowing just a bit as he rubbed the pad of his thumb across it.

"Please..don't pin me against the wall. Not in the dark, Valis."