22

Echos.

Valis listened to the echos his footsteps made as he tried to focus. Everything seemed to be multiples, nauseating as he neared the end of one hall, turning and walking down another.

"He placed the call. Told me to break in, destroy some shit and take her. I didn't..oh God I just did as I was told." The man cried, body tense as another cut sliced his calf.

Valis pointed the knife, the wet point just trickling with blood. Fingers itching to give him more and more pain.

Almost there.

Another corner turn. Up some stairs.

"He said the girl was carrying your child. That she was going to destroy the legacy behind Kholodov. The man gave me two hundred billion dollars, man. Two fucking hundred, fuck."

He winced, feeling another cut divide between his skin.

She's up there. In the bed, waiting for him. Waiting for him to come to her.

"He said do whatever we could. Fuck, we walked into the directions he gave us. He was there, man. Fucking balls deep inside of her. He choked her out just as we walked in. He said do whatever..as long as it kills the kid and her in the end-"

Valis unlocked the door, faint sounds of rustling coming from the kitchen. He closed it, eyes dropping the few tears as he locked the door, taking his shoes off.

The cool touch of the glossed wood touched his socks, eyes blurred as he dropped only a few more tears.

She was right there.

A steaming mug in her hand, squeezing half a lemon into the hot water. Valis watched her take a spoon, squeezing honey on it.

Such small acts that sent so many tingles through his body. She froze, the drop of honey plopped into the cup, her hand lowering the spoon in before looking up.

"Valis.."

She whispered his name. The small squeak was subtle, swallowed down into her throat as she looked at his face. Such a handsome terrifying face.

Dark brown eyes looking at another pair of dark brown eyes. Valis watching Imani. Imani watching Valis.

Her lips pursed slightly, tongue grazing between from the site of him. He stepped into the kitchen, one leg in front of the other. Imani looked at the remnants on his cheeks, another tear falling as she observed the thin streaks.

His hands touched her sides, holding her as if she'd run away from him. "Valis-"

"I'm sorry, Imani..I'm so sorry."

He whispered back at her, voices low as she nodded slowly. What happened?

Why was he apologizing to her?

"Where were you? Valis..it's almost three in-" his sniffles cut her off slowly, eyes on her lips as he pecked them.

He kissed them again, letting it linger before pulling away. The need to breathe was given as she inhaled slightly, eyes on the counter behind him. He walked slowly, forehead against hers as she met the fridge.

Cold metal on the back of her arms, making her grab his upper arms. Carefully, he departed from her lips, trailing them to her jaw, then her earlobe.

Right below her ear lobe.

Right on the scar.

She tensed, eyes watering as he kissed it again and again, every time he left it lingering a bit longer than before.

"Valis-"

"I killed them Imani."

Valis swung his fist, knife deep into the man's thigh as he screamed. His fists and feet connected, adding his knee into the mix.

Grabbing the man's hair, he kicked and kneed the man. He dragged him across the concrete floor with his body flailing. The soldier stood aside, watching Valis commit his usual brutality in the name of his unborn.

In the name of Imani Kholodov.

"Are you okay?" She palmed his chest, eyes watery as she looked at the steam from the mug she was ready to drink.

His heart was beating. He was alive.

Valis was real, with her. In his home.

"Why Imani? Why didn't you tell me..so much vulnerability you have. They hurt you, baby. They've hurt you so badly, because of my father."

"Please!" The man cried, gasping for air as Valis pulled him up from the broken toilet.

Urine, blood, cum, all of it mixed and filled with water.

Valis grabbed a better grip on the man, his attempts to scratch his arm denied from the long rubber gloves that stopped above his elbow.

"My child!! Are you watching?!" Valis called out to the tense air, tears falling as he mourned his baby. Mourned his wife who lay upstairs in his bed.

He dunked the man back into the toilet, knee slamming into his back as Valis put all of his weight on him. Valis took the knife from the man's mutilated thigh.

"I buried my heir." Valis sneered, looking at the remaining two men who looked mortified. Their fates had been sealed, death nearing them in such brutality.

"I held my wife down, watched doctors sedate her so she wouldn't choke on her own fucking tears. And you have the nerve...the fucking audacity to beg for mercy? To have that same look in your eyes?"

Imani tensed, the hold on her waist going to the small of her back. She felt her first tear falling, body frozen as the man she loves held her. "He raped you Imani..he defiled such an innocent part of your soul. I know I'm not better than him, considering I did it first-"

"Stop it."

"I'll burn him Imani. My sweet baby, I will burn my father into nothing but ash. He won't get away with this, Imani. And after, I will give you the courtesy of killing me right after. You will live here, or anywhere in the world unharmed. This I swear to you. Imani Kholodov, I am so sorry." He whispered, pulling from her neck.

Her head shook, denying such pain as she cried. Such strained sobs muffled as he kissed her.

He knows.

Valis knows what his father had done to her.

He believes that he is just like him.

How can she prove him wrong?

She gasped, salt on her taste buds as she accepted his tongue. Her tears on the tip of her tongue as she let him deepen the kiss.

"Valis." Imani whispered for the man, her eyes wet with fear as his hands went lower. "I know baby," he whispered, kissing her again as he bent slightly, standing up tall with his dark skinned flower in his arms.

"I know."