..:: Forty-Eight ::..

AN: This chapter has slight trigger warnings, as I based it loosely around the original Primetime Live interview from 1995. I tried to keep it as light as possible, as to avoid such triggers. Just a heads up. This is in no way to disrespect Michael in anyway possible.

"I wanna show the world that I'm not afraid."

Michael shook his head. "Sarah, no, please."

"We'll be ok, trust me. They know enough as it is. There's no avoiding it now, even if we tried."

Primetime Live had offered him an interview some days ago, and it would also be the premiere of the Scream video. Michael was concerned and skeptical of the situation as a whole, wanting to protect his family from the eyes of the media for as long as he possibly could.

The rumor mill continued to swirl and churn out lie after lie, theory after theory. And although Lisa Marie had become silent about the situation, Michael still had his doubts and concerns. Just because things are quiet now doesn't mean they will continue to be.

Evil doesn't sleep, it always finds a way to torture the unsuspecting.

His fingers fidgeted upon his thigh, and he sighed. As much as he didn't want to admit it, the world was steadily gaining insight about these events. Then again, why couldn't they know about something positive for once? Especially without tearing it asunder with lies?

"I wanna show the world how happy I am to be your wife. Show them just how happy you truly are."

Michael sighed. "What about retaliation? That really bothers me, baby. I just don't want anyone to lash out and hurt either of you."

The air became quiet and still. Michael's eyes shifted to the door of the dressing room as anxiety began to creep along his spine. Palms sweaty, heart skipping beats, and yet remained as calm as possible on the outside. His nerves catapulted into the stratosphere at the thought of his family being introduced for the first time— on live television.

Swallowing hard, he replied. "On one condition."

"What is that?"

"Come with me on tour."

"What— but, the baby—"

"I won't be able to rest easily if you aren't with me. I hope this doesn't sound overbearing."

"No, I-I just—"

Michael's eyes softened, kissing her fingertips gently. "You don't have to go, of course. I know I asked you to cover it for me, but you still have the option not to. We can do this interview, I just worry for your safety now more than ever."

"Trust me when I say, I can hold my own. Especially being a journalist, they won't stand a chance with me." Sarah affirmed with a smile. "A journalist facing another is bound to be interesting, but I won't let them do anything stupid."

He raised his eyebrows, "Damn, I had no idea you were this feisty."

Sarah laughed. "Well, what can I say? I have the most amazing man as my husband, and I've had enough of how society has been treating you."

"Gosh, I've married a true firecracker." he chuckled.

"Let's do this." Sarah grasped his hand in both of hers. "Together."

Their lips met in a tender kiss momentarily, just as a knock came to the dressing room door.

"Five minutes, Mr. Jackson."

"Thank you," came Michael's reply.

The studio was buzzing with activity, whispers amongst the employees as Michael and Sarah made their way to where Diane Sawyer awaited. She greeted them both with a smile, taking time to shake their hands before settling in her seat.