..:: Three ::..

"Like a stranger in Moscow," Michael sang into the microphone, forehead furrowed in concentration.

The music slowly faded and came to a close around him, nodding his head to the distinct beat he composed in what felt like record time. With the album close to completion, he felt this was the perfect way to wrap things up.

All that was needed was some polishing of the songs, making sure all sounded right and ready to go to production.

Setting the headphones onto the hook, he groaned and ran his fingers through his ebony locks wearily. These past few days had especially taken a toll on his heart and mind. His insomnia had returned, rearing its ugly head once again.

The nights were as equally long as the day.

And the interview was just around the corner.

Another reason to have restless nights.

"You ok, Mike?"

"Yeah. Let's get ready to get this off to production."

Exiting the booth, Michael walked out and towards the mixing department, where he was greeted by his younger sister, Janet.

A wide smile spread across her cheekbones as she embraced her elder brother. "Ready to finish this, Mike?"

He smiled and chuckled. "Ready as I'll ever be."

"Hey, you seem tired." Janet set a hand on his shoulder. "What's going on?"

"I got this damn interview coming up," Michael groaned as he set his head upon his hands. "And you know me and reporters don't mix."

Janet signed and nodded. "Yes, I know all too well. And I totally get it. But have you ever thought–"

"--I don't wanna fucking do this!" He nearly roared, frustration clearly evident in his tone. "She's probably gonna be like the rest of those before her!"

"Whoa! Chill out, no need to explode!"

Michael huffed and sighed, shifting his gaze to the mixing board. After a moment, he turned back to Janet. "Hey, I'm sorry."

She gave Michael a soft smile. "It's OK, don't worry about it. Can you tell me about this girl? Any details?"

"Supposedly she's a college student looking to be a journalist.”

“Oh, now I see why you’re so worried. But someone new doesn’t necessarily mean she’s vindictive or anything.”

He tuned the world out momentarily, sighing in frustration. Tapping his foot to a beat only he could hear, Michael’s mind began to wander.

One of the last attempts at an interview didn’t go exactly as planned, the guy was only out to defame him more than he already had been since the allegations. Michael was ready to hurt the man, if not for Wayne, he may have gotten away with it.

Michael was a wounded warrior, all the weight of the world had been thrust upon his shoulders, thus adding to the pain of a rough upbringing during his youth. People misunderstand him, people hate him.

All because of having a heart that loved too much.

But Janet had a point, she had never steered him wrong. She was one of the only siblings of which he was close with, it was debatable with everyone else most of the time. After LaToya came forward with supposed truths and revelations his trust was forever altered, forever destroyed.

Another sigh passed his lips and he turned his gaze back to Janet, somehow managing a smile. “I’ll think about it, how about that?”

“Sounds great,” Janet smiled. “Now let’s get this song ready to go.”

“I still say you should take it for your album, Jan. And on tour with you.”

“Nope, it’s all yours, Mike.” Janet raised her eyebrows in a gentle warning. “Your idea, so it’s automatically on your album.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “What am I gonna do with you?”

“I love you too, Mike.”

The pair embraced, as only a brother and sister could. Despite the rough backgrounds they both shared, nothing came between the bonds of which they shared.

Hours passed between the pair and late afternoon was quickly upon them. Janet had a few other engagements before heading back home herself. The song was still just shy of completion, but it would be for another day. She insisted that he go home and attempt some rest.

Janet knew of how bad insomnia affected Michael, both on and off tour. Sadly for the majority of the past 11 years, he had suffered immensely. The pain he endured during the commercial accident again left him riddled with scars.

Her heart constantly breaks for him, wishing against all possible hope to rid him of all he has to go through.

Not a day goes by when Michael doesn't wake up without pain, both mentally and physically. The pain severely affects his sleep, and along with nightmares from childhood it sometimes becomes too much to bear alone.

Michael was forever thankful that God blessed him with such a beautiful soul for a sister. She had become his closest friend, one of his biggest cheerleaders.

She had yet to lead him in the wrong direction, her intelligence was unmatched in his eyes.

As they walk to the exit together, they meet in an embrace, as silence washed over them.

Janet rubbed his back soothingly, tears ready to fall from her eyes. She truly hated seeing her brother like this, always wishing there was a way to turn back the clock and give him the life he so deserved.

"I'll see you tomorrow, ok?" Janet smiled. "I love you, bro."

"I love you more," Michael managed a smile.

"No, I love you more!"

"Well, guess what?" Michael playfully booped her nose. "I love you most!"

With a sigh she shook her head. "You got me there, for now. Goodnight, Mike."

Soon he was left standing alone just inside the doors, waving to the retreating limousine. Michael sighed and leaned against the wall. His watch read 5:48, it was about time to head back himself. The adrenaline rush was running rampant through his body, and he could already tell tonight was gonna be rough.

"Looks like I'm gonna burn the midnight oil again."

Turning on his heel, Michael walked back inside to find Bill so they could head back to Neverland.