Four

⚠️⚠️ Descriptions of past events which could be very triggering. It pained and hurt me to write this chapter, I may end up taking it down. But this is only to develop the story similar to 50 Shades. This in no way to be disrespectful to Michael and his family ⚠️⚠️

Crack!

A look of pure terror spread across his features, tears streaming freely down the skin of his cheeks. Whimpers and cries escaped his parted lips as another strike blossomed along his lower back.

"Do it again, and keep doing it until it's right, boy!"

"No! I've done enough today, Joseph!"

"You dare back talk to me?" Joseph bellowed, cracking the belt once more, but this time narrowly missing the mark.

Michael had just barely escaped the strike, sliding down the hall with his father at his heels. Heavy footfalls chase him throughout the house, his cries of terror seemingly unnoticed by the other occupants and neighbors alike.

"Get your ass back here now!" Joseph shouted, his voice low and dark just the same.

Ducking into the nearby closet, Michael hid among the coats and shoes quietly. His heart was hammering against the confines of his ribcage like a wild bird struggling to be free of its cage. Taking quiet breaths he was amazed Joseph couldn't hear him.

It was another rehearsal that didn't go the way Joseph had wanted, the smallest mistake meant punishment for whoever messed up a single step.

And this time, strangely enough, it was Michael. 

Jermaine had pushed into what Michael felt like was on purpose, causing his step to be missed and losing his footing among the cords.

Oh, if looks could kill.

Not wasting a second Joseph stood and cracked the belt across his lower back without warning nor remorse. 

Michael's back burned and throbbed in agony, his lungs burning and gasping for air. His eyes were clouded with tears as they continued to slide down his cheeks. Slowly sliding against the wall he locked the closet door as tightly as it would go, praying to whoever may be listening for protection and grace from his father.

Everything was set upon his shoulders from such an early age, and it was unfortunate. A childhood stolen due to an abusive father, and the high price of fame.

The cries of his mother could soon be heard, and Michael's heart sank. Please, not mother!

"Leave him be, Joseph!" Katherine cried. "I saw them both slip up, they are only human!"

"Shut up, Katherine!" Joseph bellowed.

Sounds of shoving and pushing flooded Michael's senses, and the floodgates opened and the tears flowed even harder. Taking the risk fully and completely, he flung the closet door open, rushing into Joseph's chest with no remorse.

"Leave mother alone!"

"You're gonna get it now, boy!"

Crack!

"Joseph, stop!"

Michael awoke with a start, the bedcovers soaked in cold sweat. His entire body was trembling and shivering from the intensity of the nightmare. One of the same ones he has had ever since childhood. 

His curls stuck to his visage as he began to quietly sob in the darkness of the bedroom. Pulling his knees up to his chest, Michael began to let himself grieve the images of the past.

It was a day he'd not soon forget, even after years the pain could still be felt. His body has been in a constant state of hypervigilance for decades, and was only getting worse.

Doctors have struggled to help him for a very long time, but nothing has seemed to work yet. Therapist, psychiatrists, peer supports– no one had answers for him. At the end of the day, Michael felt it was all up to him to conquer the past.

Times like this, he longed to have someone put their hand down out, someone who would not judge him for the past events of his life. To comfort and cherish is all any human longs for and deserves.

Michael sniffled as the tears began to subside, taking note of the time being 3:26 in the morning. 

The interview was just hours away. And after a nightmare like this, it was sure to throw him off. He wasn't looking forward to it anymore. No sooner was he even the slightest bit confident in trying one final time, that courage quickly faded into the darkness.

"God, I can't do this." Michael sighed, curling up on his side. "I'm gonna have to reschedule it, better yet, just cancel it altogether."

He sighed and swallowed hard against the lump in his throat. What he wouldn't give to have a normal and restful night's sleep,  it's been so long to the point he couldn't even remember the last time a restful sleep came to him. 

Michael balled his hands into tight fists, soon punching the pillows and mattress with cries of pain and anguish.

"Fuck!" He cried, pounding into the pillows without remorse nor mercy. Oh, to have the chance of taking this energy and anger upon the people who've done this.

Oddly enough, Michael would never lay hands on Joseph, he couldn't gather the courage to even think of that. Despite years of abuse he couldn't bring himself to imagine the possibility. If not for him, life would cease to be.

With another cry of anguish Michael curled into a tight ball once more, rocking back and forth. Nights like this truly made him wish for a friend, a partner, someone to be there to comfort and hold him until sleep overtakes every sense.

Michael sobbed quietly, continuing to rock back and forth, while his body slowly let go of the moment in hopes of getting the rest it longs for.

"I can't do this anymore, that interview ain't gonna happen."

Echoes of the past ebbed and flowed in the back of his mind ever so slightly. After a long moment, Michael succumbed to the darkness, a single tear making its way down his cheek as a dreamless sleep enveloped his mind.

"Not gonna happen…"