..:: Twenty-Eight ::..

"Why do you look so happy, Mike?"

Michael chuckled, "Never mind, Janet."

"I haven't seen you smile like this in forever!" Janet smiled. "You gotta tell me"

"No!"

"C'mon, Mike!"

"Nope, you'll see someday."

The siblings bantered back and forth, picking and poking fun at each other as they sat together by the carousels. Janet had come to visit her brother, knowing full well about the interview, wondering how it played out.

Oh, if only she knew.

"How did the interview go?"

He sighed, "It actually went very well. Sarah was very kind and very sweet."

Janet's eyebrows went up. "Sarah? First name basis?"

Michael flushed, shaking his head. "Honestly, Janet! But really, I'm glad I did it. Thank you for giving me that extra push."

"Yeah, you needed it. You're so damn shy and stubborn, bro."

They sat quietly as the music played from the speakers around the ranch. It was quiet save for their occasional laughter and chatter. Michael sighed and shifted his gaze to his hands resting upon his lap.

If only Janet knew about Sarah, he knew they would get along and bond quickly, as Janet had that ability to form friendships within days.

"You just seem happier, more at peace." Janet smiled. "It looks good on you."

"Thank you," Michael replied. "Life has a sense of humor with me lately, I guess."

Walking back towards the main house, Michael could faintly hear the ring of his office phone and made a run for the door, calling back to Janet as he ran off.

"I'll be back!"

Michael quickly closed the door behind him, grabbing the phone.

"Hello?" He answered breathlessly.

"Michael?"

"Sarah! How are you? I'm sorry for not calling back, I've been so busy."

"It's OK, don't worry. I absolutely loved the roses."

"Yeah? I could tell on the voicemail you left a couple days ago."

Sarah sighed, "I've never gotten such a gift before. It brought tears to my eyes."

"Well, get used to it, babe. It's gonna be way more than that." Michael smiled. "When can I see you?"

"I'm off again this weekend, " she replied almost shyly.

Michael couldn't hold back the smile which spread across his features. "Pick you up Friday night?"

She laughed, "Sounds perfect."

"See you then, love."

"I love you, Michael."

"I love you even more."

A hand set upon his shoulder, and Michael jumped with a brief gasp and turned to meet Janet's curious gaze.

Oh, shit.

"OK, Mike, spill it!"

Michael ran his fingers through his hair, eyes shifting quickly in embarrassment. He must have forgotten to lock the door. Damn it, he didn't want anyone to know just yet. But then again, Janet was never one to spread anything personal shared between them.

"You got me," Michael raised his hands. "I'm seeing someone."

Janet giggled, "I had a feeling. So, who is the lucky lady?"

"You'll see someday, Jan."

"Is it Lisa?"

His face fell upon hearing Lisa's name. Michael wasn't fully over what happened between them in all honesty. Ever since that fateful day, they haven't spoken. He barely even considered her as a friend anymore. Being a gentleman he tried remaining friends, as she was truly like a best friend. But now he wasn't so sure.

"No. We've been split for a while."

Janet raised an eyebrow. "Damn, I had no idea."

"Yeah," Michael replied bitterly.

Silence filled the air, and Michael sat at his desk, resting his chin upon his hands. Images he's struggled with begin to invade his thoughts, forcing their way back. Brows furrowed together, his eyes shift almost angrily.

"She wasn't exactly as I had hoped."

"I see. I'm sorry, Mike."

He waved a hand. "Don't worry, just drop it."

Janet set a hand upon Michael's shoulder, remaining silent, respecting her brother wholeheartedly with the situation.

Michael sighed. It had been some weeks since the break up, and the healing has been slow. He was hoping to be over her quickly, but as he said, life has a twisted sense of humor these past few years.

"Janet, can you come back later?"

"Yeah, just call me. Love you, bro."

"I love you more."

The pair embraced before she exited the office, softly closing the door and leaving Michael with his thoughts.

He groaned and ran his hands through his hair, "Damn it!"

"We're through, Michael." Lisa Marie's voice echoed. "I'm still married."

"But, Lisa–"

"I said it's over, Michael!"

Michael threw a notebook across the room with a growl of anguish, tears pricking the corners of his eyes. The way his past haunted him was getting old by the moment, and now that Sarah was in his life, there was no longer room for negativity. Or, so he hoped.

"Fuck!"

Standing, he made his way to the where the notebook lay upon the floor, picking it up and making his way to the main foyer, taking a seat at the piano. Perhaps some writing would soothe his soul before the weekend arrived.

Flipping through the pages, Michael soon came across a new song of which he and his nephews had been working on. It surely fits the recent events, and how his feelings have been rapidly developing for Sarah.

The song was meant to go on HIStory, but he quickly decided to give the song to his nephews. Try as they might, he insisted for it to be on their upcoming album, with full and complete credit.

Michael sighed, humming to the song as it began to play in the back of his mind.

Why does Monday come before Tuesday
Why do summers start in June
Why do winters come too soon
Why do people fall in love
When they're always breaking up, oh why
Why do I love you, tell me why

Fingers glide over the keys with ease, dancing across the ebony and ivory with practiced precision. Brown orbs falling closed, Michael sighed.

Tell me why…

His eyes slowly opened, soon shifting to the window. Michael couldn't hold back the smile which was now forming on his features. The same pair of birds from a few days ago were happily perched just outside, twittering and chirping merrily.

"Well now," he chuckled. "What are you guys doing here?"

The female tilted her head with a soft tweet, allowing the male to preen her gently.

"Oh, gosh. You guys are too much."

The male chirped and took off, the female close behind.

Michael sighed, resting his chin upon his hand. Perhaps the universe was trying to tell him something. And for the first time in years, he allowed his heart to open up and listen.