..:: Twenty-Seven ::..

The morning air was crisp and cool as Sarah readied her bike for the morning commute to work. Pulling her coat tightly about her shoulders, she pedals towards her destination.

Images of the weekend begin playing in the back of her mind, bringing a blush to her cheekbones. Oh, what she would give to be with Michael every day. But right now it was better this way, as to protect each other, and she knew it.

Sarah fully trusted Michael to remain faithful. Not once did he come across as a cheating type of man. If anything, he appeared to worship the ground of which his woman would walk upon. A type of man to bring a woman first and foremost, all the while keeping his career afloat.

She hoped her coming along wouldn't jeopardize anything for Michael. Especially after working so hard for so many years. 

And going through all the trials and tribulations of having a kind and loving soul.

As she locked the bike outside, she took the keys and opened the shop. It was quiet, arriving early before the manager would give her some extra time to restock and organize the merchandise.

"Hey, you're here early, Sarah," the voice of her manager greeted her. "Good morning."

"Morning, Beth," Sarah smiled. 

"How was your weekend?"

Sarah flushed deeply, taking a moment to word her response without giving it all away. "Oh, not too bad. Just stayed home with a good book."

Total fucking lie, but it was so worth it. 

"Awesome. I can't wait to read that interview with Michael Jackson. Girl, you have to be the luckiest girl in the world right now!"

Oh, if only Beth knew just how lucky she was.

The air became silent as they began stocking and organizing the store. Sarah placed the new shipment of Michael's music upon the displays, smiling to herself. Seeing his face in a photograph now doesn't hold a candle to him in person.

"Michael," she whispered, turning as the doorbell rang.

"Um, is Miss Underwood here this morning?"

"That's me, how can I help you?"

The young man set a bouquet of the deepest red roses into Sarah's hands with a smile. "A delivery for you, ma'am. Have a great day."

Sarah was blown away. Never had anyone given her such a beautiful gift. Taking the card tucked within the silken petals, she blushed and smiled.

Have a great day, Sarah. Yours~ M

"Whoa, where did those come from?"

"I-I have no idea," Sarah stumbled over her words. "Do we have something I can put these in for a while?"

Beth went to the backroom, bringing back her water bottle, helping place the roses in with care. "Got a secret admirer or something?"

"You could say that." Sarah sighed, tucking the card in her back pocket.

The day soon crawled by at an agonizingly slow pace. Sarah looked at the clock, only 2:30, just a little while before she could clock out and head back. The interview needed to be done soon, having this part time job was all well and good, but it sometimes interfered with college.

"Hey, Beth. Can I leave early? I gotta get that interview finished."

Beth looked at her watch, "Sure. It's been awhile since you asked for time off. Go ahead."

"Thank you," Sarah checked out for the day, removing the roses from the bottle and holding them close. Balancing the flowers in the crook of her arm, she began the bike ride back home.

She knew full well who the flowers came from. And it made the day all the more better.

Upon returning back to her apartment building, she is met with another bouquet of roses, this time only 11 were set next to the door. But next to the flowers was a rose encased in what appeared to be a thin layer of glass and rimmed with gold.

"Oh, my God," Sarah opened the door, bringing everything in, including the mysterious golden rose.

The petals were encased with gold, preserving the deep red color for an eternity. 

I will love you until the last rose dies. And my love is eternal. Eternally Yours~ Michael J

Sarah gasped and flushed a deep shade of red, as her heart began to beat quickly. No way, he didn't just do something taken straight from a romance novel. The card smelled of Michael's colonge, which took her senses straight back to their first meeting. 

"Michael."

The light on her answering machine blinked with one new message. With a press of the button, she places all the flowers into vases with fresh water. What came next would end the day on just the right note. 

"Hi baby, it's Michael."

Sarah could hear him smile, and she flushed upon hearing his soft and gentle voice.

"I know you're probably at work, and I hope you like the flowers. Please be safe and call me when you get the chance. I love you, Sarah. Bye."

Her heart skipped a beat, the message was one of the sweetest and most heartfelt she's ever gotten. God, did she miss him. If not for the deadlines and work, she would be at Neverland right now with her beloved.

"Oh, Michael," Sarah sighed wistfully.

Taking out her laptop and notes from the interview, Sarah began to compose how the layout should be, fingers gliding across the keys with practiced ease. She silently prayed it would be a success, and impress Michael.

Each word flowed smoothly, entwined perfectly with the next. A sigh passed her lips as her brow furrowed in concentration. 

Sarah overlooked what had been written thus far, and with a nod of accomplishment, the document was saved to the computer.

Time had gotten away from her, and it was now nearly 8:30.

Grabbing the phone, she dials up Michael's number. She was met with his voicemail, even though it was a simple recording, it still brought a smile to her heart.

"Hello, it's Michael Jackson. I'm sorry that I'm not able to answer the phone right now. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you. Goodbye."

Beep.

"Hi Michael, it's Sarah." She smiled.  "I just wanted to tell you thank you for the flowers. I'm sorry for not calling sooner, the article with your interview is just about done."

She sighed, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. "I miss you, and hope to see you soon. Call me when you can. I love you, baby."

Setting the phone back upon its cradle, Sarah wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. Parting is sweet sorrow, and absence makes the heart grow fonder, after all.