Chapter 59 - Humanity

Start from the beginning

So, I continued. "I will never fail you again, Aiyanna. I swear to be by your side until you'd want me to, to leave if you tell me so, and to remove anything that would interfere with your happiness and your safety even if that thing is me." I swore.

As I talked, I noticed something changing in the way she stared at me. Her eyes were being more hidden by her fur that had grown longer since the last time I saw her. Was it her, frowning at me ?

She had all the rights to be skeptical. I had broken all the promises I had made even the one when I told her I would never come back into her life again.

Don't make her angry. Wolves are unstable - Jasper warned me.

Her legs moved forward, forcing me to step back as soon as she started to nudge her nose against my chest with force. Fearing that my frozen and hard body would hurt her, I had no choice but to step back to avoid that. Growling sounds came from below me, as her strides became bigger to reduce the distance between us.

"What is going on, Jasper ?" I asked, concerned.

"She is being territorial. I guess she didn't like hearing the possibility of you leaving again." Jasper answered out loud, almost with a scoff.

So she understood what I was saying, although I wasn't sure to which extent.

Before she could nudge me again, I brought my hand to her jaw and touched the brown fur on the side of her face.

Her fur was both soft and warm against my skin. I ran my fingers through it curiously, learning the texture, stroking her neck where the color faded into a white spot.

Aiyanna who at first froze at my contact, started to relax the more I stroke her fur. Her black eyes closed and a sigh came out of her muzzle.

"I will do as you wish, Aiyanna." I said, giving her what she was seeking for : reassurance.

However, this slow moment of solace only lasted a few seconds.

Aiyanna's breathing started to pick up as her body started shaking against my hand. I could feel her body heat up under my palm, even though she was already warmer than I had expected.

Whining sounds came out of her as her legs gave up under her. I followed her movement and fell on my knees as well. Full of concerns, I observed her fur slowly starting to disappear and her body starting to become smaller until it revealed the short-haired naked woman who had been hiding inside this whole time.

~~

Aiyanna

Awake.

As if I had woken up from a long dream, I felt disoriented.

I had to get used to new yet familiar sensations. The fallen leaves felt different against my skin, just like how different the wind felt on me.

I only needed to open my eyes to realize why everything felt so different.

I had turned back to human.

When I stretched my arm and saw my hand, I felt as if I was rediscovering my body all over again.

Contrarily to all the other times when I turned back to human, this time I was welcomed with a new source of oxygen. I was being intoxicated by the scent I was wrapped into. An unfamiliar material was covering me, even before I had the time to think.

"Are you all right, Aiyanna ?"

That voice.

My body froze in an instant.