Chapter 32

In the aftermath of the disaster, successive aftershocks kept coming in the disaster-stricken area. Most of the tremors weren't too intense. Wang Yibo flipped through the photos of the ruins on his phone, and as he went through them, his nose started to feel a bit sour. He wasn't particularly strong-willed and so couldn't bear to see the pain of separation and death.

When he handed over the information to their team leader, the leader had just returned from outside. His police uniform was tattered and covered in dust.

"Xiao Wang, we need to deliver another batch of supplies to the disaster area, mainly because they don't have access to drinking water. Can you lend a hand?" the team leader asked.

Wang Yibo didn't hesitate. He picked up a box of bottled water and loaded it into the vehicle, repeating the process over and over. In the face of natural disasters, human strength seemed so insignificant, but even in that insignificance, they would give their all to save their fellow humans. For Wang Yibo, this was what he should do. Even if he wasn't a police officer, he would do it without hesitation.

On the way to deliver the water, Wang Yibo passed by many ruins, with soldiers and civilians working tirelessly to rescue people, although he couldn't tell them apart anymore.

Their vehicle came to a stop in front of a large expanse of ruins. They couldn't go any further and had to transport the bottled water manually. While carrying the water, Wang Yibo heard someone not far away shouting, "We need some help here! Hurry, there's a survivor under this board!"

Wang Yibo shouted to his team leader, "I'll go help. You come back for me when you're ready."

The team leader waved at him, so Wang Yibo hurriedly went to assist in lifting the concrete board. It was incredibly heavy, and it took the combined effort of four adult men to lift it and reveal a child trapped beneath. The child was covered in cement dust and weakly reached out to them. Medical personnel rushed forward and placed the child on a stretcher. However, Wang Yibo noticed a pool of blood under the child, stained black by the dust. He overheard one of the medical staff taking the child away say, "The internal organs feel okay to the touch, but the right arm is beyond saving. We'll have to amputate it."

The impact of this scene left Wang Yibo unable to come to terms with it for a long time. It was the first time he had witnessed the cruelty of a person being trapped under debris. Not far away, several dozen bodies were piled up, lifeless, some even severely disfigured. Previously, when he saw crime scene photos with human body parts in pieces, he would feel uncomfortable for a long time. But here, such horrifying scenes were everywhere. He didn't have time to be afraid, he just felt a profound sense of sorrow and an overwhelming desire to save those who still had a chance at survival.

From that moment on, Wang Yibo stayed with the rescue team, devoting himself to the ongoing rescue efforts.

The debris beneath his feet was once a towering building. After the earthquake's devastation, only two or three stories remained standing. The ground was scattered with shattered walls and broken steel bars. Carelessness could lead to cuts, not to mention the rubble-filled terrain that offered no flat surface to walk on. It felt like climbing a rugged mountain, and his feet were sore from the effort.

"Looks like there's someone here!" someone shouted.

Wang Yibo immediately ran over, hoping to move the debris away. There was no better tool than hands, and they struggled to remove pieces of bricks and stones. However, by the time they reached the person below, there was no sign of life left. The left half of their body had been crushed into a mass of flesh.

Wang Yibo stared at the person in shock, but someone beside him said, "Don't dwell on it, quickly save the next one. We don't have time to think about anything else!"