Chapter 18

After they had been living peacefully for two months, Xiao Zhan brought a piano into the house. Wang Yibo saw a white piano for the first time and watched it for a long time. Xiao Zhan told him he could play it if he was bored, but Wang Yibo refused, saying, "I don't know how to play. It'll just make a lot of noise and bother you."

Xiao Zhan said, "It won't be noisy."

Wang Yibo still didn't play it. He touched one of the keys, but only lightly, not even pressing it down.

"Play for me in the future," he said to Xiao Zhan.

"Okay."

Xiao Zhan readily agreed. From then on, every time Wang Yibo came home, he could hear Xiao Zhan's melodious piano music. He could hear it from the moment the elevator started moving. Wang Yibo didn't understand music very well, but he guessed that Xiao Zhan was highly skilled. When Xiao Zhan played the piano, it seemed as if he was emitting a glow from his entire body. Sometimes, Wang Yibo couldn't focus on the music itself and was instead drawn to Xiao Zhan's aura.

He said to Xiao Zhan, "You play so well. You should perform on stage at your school's New Year's Eve party. I'm sure many people would praise you."

Xiao Zhan replied coolly, "I don't want to play for others."

"But I've been listening to you all this time..."

Xiao Zhan lowered his head slightly and slowly closed the piano cover.

"You can listen, you're not someone else."

Wang Yibo felt that the remark was somewhat ambiguous and didn't respond. He always felt that there was an inexplicable ambiguity between them, more than just the friendship of brothers. Even though they lived together, Wang Yibo didn't limit his circle of friends to just Xiao Zhan. He had an unusually good popularity in the police academy, even if he didn't stay in the dorms, he had many friends. They would sometimes go to internet cafes together or have meals, but the feeling of being with them was completely different from being with Xiao Zhan.

He and Xiao Zhan often sat together playing games or watching movies, and they always seemed to inexplicably get close to each other, shoulders touching. Wang Yibo's heart would always surge with emotion and his heart would throb.

At first, he thought that it would get better after living with Xiao Zhan for a while. He thought that once they were more familiar with each other, he wouldn't have any strange thoughts towards Xiao Zhan. But...now he not only wanted to get close, but he also wanted to hug Xiao Zhan and lean on his shoulder. Or sometimes, when Xiao Zhan wasn't paying attention, he wanted to kiss Xiao Zhan's face.

Setting aside the fact that he had experienced that kind of thing before and whether he could love a man normally, Xiao Zhan's attitude was always ambiguous. Wang Yibo felt that Xiao Zhan could tolerate him to an unlimited degree, but he couldn't tell if it was because he liked him that way or because they were friends.

After struggling for a moment in his bedroom, Wang Yibo threw himself back onto the bed and muttered to himself while looking up at the ceiling, "I don't want to think about it...I don't want to think about it...I have physical fitness tests next week."

In the other bedroom, the surveillance screen displaying his every move was paused. Xiao Zhan gazed at the screen, lost in thought.

Since he was able to turn a brand that had not yet established a speciality store in China into a "street vendor", he could also do the same to reduce Wang Yibo's memory of that matter.

Staring at Wang Yibo's face on the monitor, Xiao Zhan tried to figure out how Wang Yibo could be relieved.

If someone were to take the blame for him, he would no longer be guilty.