Chapter 31

Under the guidance of Xiao Zhan, Wang Yibo re-examined the testimony of the victim's husband and the alibi in the love-homicide case. As expected, they discovered some clues. Following the new evidence, their team quickly submitted the investigation report.

This case was greatly helped by Xiao Zhan, and when Wang Yibo checked his end-of-month bonus on his phone, he wondered if he should thank Xiao Zhan.

Actually... readmitting Xiao Zhan didn't seem as difficult as he had imagined. Xiao Zhan appeared to have control over his emotions, at least when he was around. Perhaps there was still a possibility between them. He hadn't thought about that terrifying and dark night for a long time.

Although Xiao Zhan was still an unpredictable bomb, weighing the pros and cons, they shouldn't be together again. But Wang Yibo couldn't resist his own feelings, pretending he could just let go of the past.

As for whether his family could accept it, he would think about it later.

With his bonus, what should he buy? He decided to get a new cozy nest for xiao-Huang and send it home. His mom said xiao-Huang had gained some weight, and the old dog bed was getting a bit tight. But what could he buy for Xiao Zhan? The cost of Xiao Zhan's lifestyle, from his clothes to his daily expenses, made Wang Yibo hesitant. It seemed like he couldn't afford anything. Xiao Zhan had once mentioned a luxury brand that was being sold at street stalls, and coincidentally, it entered the domestic market this year. When Wang Yibo saw his own wardrobe full of high-end custom-made clothes, he was stunned by the prices and felt his hands go weak.

As for other options, Xiao Zhan didn't seem interested in anything besides him. And it's not like he could get Xiao Zhan some advanced weapon. But he remembered Xiao Zhan hadn't touched the piano in a long time. After Xiao Zhan played a piece for him, Xiao Zhan mentioned that a bracing ring of the piano was broken. So, Wang Yibo thought of getting it fixed as a way to repay Xiao Zhan for providing the clue.

He invited someone to come to his house and inspect the piano. The repairman first circled around the piano and marveled at it for a while. He even suggested they should consider donating it to a museum. After Wang Yibo mentioned the soundboard issue, the repairman carefully examined it and took many photos. He then explained that only a custom-made piano like this one deserved such a specific type of soundboard. Wang Yibo listened, feeling a bit lost at times, but still nodded along occasionally. Finally, he handed over a substantial amount of money, not just his bonus, but almost half of his monthly salary. It made him feel somewhat heartbroken.

Their living standards were really worlds apart. What did Xiao Zhan like about him? And why did he like him so obsessively and extremely? He couldn't comprehend it.

After repairing the piano, Wang Yibo often sat on the piano stool, admiring the valuable instrument.

'Just one soundboard is so expensive, this piano must have cost a lot, right?'  Wang Yibo wondered out loud.

Behind him, Xiao Zhan replied, "Do you like it? You can try playing it."

"I don't know how" Wang Yibo said.

Xiao Zhan reached out and tentatively took Wang Yibo's wrist, who didn't resist. As Xiao Zhan's fingers touched the piano keys, a melodious sound filled the room.

"I can teach you if you want to learn" Xiao Zhan offered, almost pressing his entire body against Wang Yibo. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, Wang Yibo leaned forward slightly to leave a small gap between them.

"I fixed the soundboard, so you can play the piano now" Wang Yibo said.

"Okay" Xiao Zhan agreed.

Staring at the hand that was gently held by him and not let go, Xiao Zhan asked softly, "Why did you get the piano repaired for me?"