24

Chapter 24. Fox tail revealed

Maybe due to a good season this year, there were bountiful harvests everywhere. At first, Yue Da Fu thought that he could gather some money by selling food. The plan broke apart. On the contrary, the same amount food earned ten percent less than last year. Old Mrs. Chen was so angry that she laid on the kang for a few days and refused to get up.

This year was a good year. The mountain chickens and hares in the mountains were also plump. There were more people eating game in the town than in previous years. You Jin exchanged the caught wild chickens and hares for money every time she went to the market. She had got familiar with the purchase steward from Umami Room's kitchen. Every time she got mountain goods, they were sent straight to Umami Room. Which saved You Jin a lot of trouble.

When the first snowfall of this winter fell, You Jin had already saved seventeen silver liang from the wild chickens and hares. Seventeen silver liangs can buy less than three mu of top-quality farmland or build a few spacious mud-brick houses in Liutun Town.

But for You Jin, this was far from enough. She had to support six younger sisters, as well as the unknown gender baby in Mrs. Su's womb. Seventeen silver liang was probably not enough for the cost of them leaving Yue's house and settling down.

But now it had started to snow, all the animals in the mountains have entered hibernation. It seems not plausible to go hunting and make money again. She had to find another input.

Before You Jin thought of a new way to make money, something big happened in Yue Family.

Yue Chang Lu brought a big-bellied woman back to Yue's house!

In the main room of Yue's House, Yue Chang Lu supported the young woman whose stomach was at least seven months old. The two knelt together in front of Yue Da Fu and old Mrs. Chen. Yue Chang Lu stammered: "Father, Mother, the child in Wan Niang's womb belongs to son. Son can't let the mother and son suffer outside. Father, Mother, please fulfill our wish!"

Old Mrs. Chen looked at somewhat enchanting and seductive Wan Niang, who was kneeling on the ground. Her eyes were dark for a while. She leaned back on the kang without speaking. Even Yue Da Fu didn't expect that his second son, who was honest and didn’t even speak much on most days, would stir something up. Frowning, he sat cross-legged on the kang as he smoking his pipe. For a while, the main room was dead silent.

On the other side at the west wing, You Jin, who first came out to add firewood to the kang, saw Yue Chang Lu lead a woman through the entrance. Then she hurried back to the west wing to instruct You Yin and the other girls: "No matter what happens outside, don't come out. Watch Mother, okay?"

As a result, the little girls, who didn't know what happened, obediently listened to Third Elder Sister and nodded.

Seeing the few girls nodding earnestly, You Jin frowned and left with pursed lips. Before You Jin went out, You Zhu felt an unknown nudge in her heart and followed her: "Third Elder Sister, what happened?"

You Jin just went out, when she saw her following. She hurriedly pushed You Zhu back into the room: "Go back quickly."

Then she turned around and went to the backyard. Seeing Third Elder Sister's reaction, You Zhu felt that something big happened at home. So she quietly followed behind You Jin and made way to the window at the back of the main room.

You Jin noticed You Zhu as soon as she turned her head. Afraid that her voice would alert the people inside, she wink to imply that she wasn't allowed to make a sound. Braving the snow, the sisters hid behind the main room and listened quietly to the action.

In the main room, Yue Da Fu and old Mrs. Chen were silent for a long time. Yue Chang Lu knelt for a long time. It wasn't until the tobacco in his hand were exhausted that Yue Da Fu coughed twice and looked at Wan Niang who was kneeling beside Yue Chang Lu: "What do you like about my second son?"