13

📕WuxiaWorldEU

Chapter 13. Setting plan into motion/ Idea comes, action followed

A few days after old Mrs. Chen's birthday, the first frost came down. The crops outside the village had already heavily drooped their heads, waiting for the joy of harvesting from the people who had worked hard for more than half a year.

Yue Da Fu carried a hoe and led Yue Chang Lu along the field ridge. The father and son had just returned from the field. Yue Da Fu's wrinkled face was full of joy: "This year has been a good year. The rice is almost ripe. Let's start harvesting tomorrow!"

Now that almost all the family's assets been taken out by Yue Wen Tao brothers, a bumper harvest meant they could sell more for money. Yue Da Fu would naturally be delighted.

Yue Chang Lu followed his father half a step slower. There was a hint of joy on his face that had been through the wind and frost for many years: "I will go to work in the town after collecting the grain. I think I can accumulate some money for the winter."

Yue Da Fu glanced at his son who was still a little gloomy despite having a smile on his face. He sighed in his heart. Thinking how old Second's family had only seven granddaughters, he couldn't help shaking his head.

Mrs. Chen just happened to finish cooking the meal when the father and son got back. Since the family lost 100 silver liang, old Mrs. Chen became even more frugal: the rice was originally brown rice, but now it had been replaced with watery coarse grains congee. There was no meat nor fish in the dishes. A small bowl of pickled vegetable and a few plates of vegetables that was fried until it look limp and unappetizing.

Still, old Mrs. Chen didn't dare to starve Yue Da Fu. Once Yue Da Fu washed his hands and sat down at the table, a bowl of thick coarse grain congee was placed in front of him. Then Yue Chang Lu, first branch's Yue Wen Wei, and old Mrs. Chen got half the bowl of thick porridge. As for Mrs. Chen and eldest branch's Yue You Ting, they can still get some dry goods. While, second branch's seven granddaughters have a bowl of watery congee each.

Yue You Jin felt that she manage. However, her several younger sisters were still so young. If they were badly starved, what to do in the future? But looking at the smug expression on Old Chen's face, Yue You Jin knew that she was waiting for her to start something so she can teach a good lesson! She immediately changed her mind. Holding a bowl of watery congee with a scatter of grain, she fed Little Ninth one bite at a time. Then she constantly extended her chopsticks over to the vegetable dishes on the table.

When You Jin clipped the vegetable for the third time, old Mrs. Chen sternly stretched out her hand and used the chopsticks to hit the back of You Jin's hand so hard that a "snap" rang out: "You money-wasting thing are the reincarnation of starving ghosts. Only eat and not work. Aren't you afraid of being stuffed to death!"

Old Mrs. Chen's sudden accusation not only frightened Yue You Yin, You Zhu, You Bao, and the others, but also scared Little Ninth, who was in You Jin's arms, into tears. Little Ninth's cry wasn't loud, but it still attracted the attention of the next table Yue Da Fu: "I work hard outside every day and can't enjoy peace for a while when I get home! How do you manage the family?"

Although his words were blaming old Mrs. Chen, his dissatisfied eyes glared at Yue You Jin.

Yue Chang Lu was very sensitive to the matters at home, especially when it was about the money-wasting things. Just as Yue Da Fu's disapproval finished, he stood up before You Jin could respond and slapped the back of her head with his palm: "A money waster who knows how to cry all day long!"

You Jin was stunned by his action. Only felt a burning pain at the back of her head. She swayed a few times before falling down. You Yin, who was sitting next to You Jin, noticed something was amiss with her elder sister. She hurriedly supported her: "Third Elder Sister!"