Chapter 49: RECOVERY

Dia

It has been two weeks since the explosion, Ace has recovered faster than I have. Right now, I am looking out the window while waiting for Zak to visit me- he visits me everyday since I ended up in hospital. My hearing has come back but sometimes when people speak it becomes inaudible. I am being discharged today.
"Hey," Zak says with a basket of flowers.
"Hi," I say as he places the basket of flowers on the bed, and he walks towards me.
"How are you feeling today," he wraps his arms around me. I wrap my arms around his neck. I rest my head on his chest.
Being in this moment, feels so right to be in Zak's arms. He might not be the type of guy I normally would have gone for but being with him is easy and being in his arms, feels like home.
"Zak Theo Harandas, get away from that, that gurl," an older women's voice says from the other side of the room. I turn to see Ace sitting on the chair with a bandage on his arm from the explosion. In the doorway, is an angry woman- Zak's mom.
"What is wrong with her," My stepfather says, making me look to see him and then back at Zak's mom.
"Her whole family is said to be killers, you can not be with a killer," Mrs. Harandas says, not knowing my father is behind her. Instead of Zak letting go of me, he pulls me closer into him, like he is being possessive. I do not know who he is trying to fool because I am the possessive one in the relationship, but I play along.
"I would be careful the way you speak about my family," my father says, angry visible in his voice and eyes. He has the same look but angrier when he found out about my biological father hitting me when I was younger.
"I mean. You can't tell me, you guys haven't killed people," Zak's mother says, "Zak, you can not be with these people. You've had your fun but think about the family reputation. How will the media and tabloids think about this? Think about what you are doing, we have always been the family which helps the less fortunate and they have been known for dodgy stuff."
Before Zak's mom could continue, I walk up to her. Look her dead in her eyes, "Your family's reputation won't matter if you're six feet under. Be very careful how you talk about my man. I don't care if you are related to him or not, but I will not tolerate disrespect from anyone." My teeth are gritted, and my hands are in a fist, ready to fight her at any second, "Even if the person birthed my man."
Anger spreading through veins faster than adrenaline.
No one disrespects my family or what belongs to me.
Weather it is his mother or not. I do not take disrespect lightly.
"I suggest you leave in one peace before you have a bullet between in your head," My father warns her, she looks at my father.
"The people will come after you if you hurt me," she readjusts her handbag which is hanging from the inside of her elbow.
"They won't do shit. Majority of them fear me," Ace says, one thing about Ace is he has the same genes in him as his father- they will do anything to protect their family.
"You choose her and you are not allowed to come home, ever again," she says, looking past me and towards Zak.
Zak looks at me, he looks at my father before he opens his mouth, "Dia is my home and you care way to much about your family image that you would want me to make an appearance at your house. Mom, think about the public."
Pride beams from my chest. He is standing up for himself. He is using her flaw against her; her own mindset is being used against her.
A smile spreads on my lips. A proud, pleased, and prominent smile curls my lips, pride beams from my eyes.
He called me his home. I have to make him my husband soon or at least a lifelong partner.
"I-," with that she walks out the room after standing in shock with her mouth open. Ace smiles at Zak, a new respect in Aces eyes. My father looks at Zak before he removes his coat.
"Your mother is in labor," he says, looking at Ace and then me.
"No, wait. When did we find out the gender of the baby?" I question, looking up at my father.
"The week you were kidnapped," he says exiting the room. Ace and I walk towards the exit of the room. I turn around to look at Zak. I motion my head to the exit.
"But I am not your family," he says, looking me in the eyes.
"The day you decided to help get me back from my biological father was the day you became family. Most guys use me for my body, but you care about my actual self, not the person who does boxing, the person who has most of the city at her feet. Most people don't even approach me unless I have alcohol in my system. You stuck around when most people wouldn't have and your kind of stuck with me because your mom kind of disowned you." I take his arm and walk towards the gynecologist section of the hospital.
"Thank you," Zak says as we walk exit the rooms. None of the nurses stop me, they merely acknowledge my presence.