Chapter 23: Bills

Zak

I am watching TV from being bored in the hospital and it hasn't been 24 hours yet. I hear a knock on the door. I turn my attention to the door which is now being open. Dia walks through the door and into the room.

"Your medical bill was paid up for today and tomorrow," Dia says putting her phone in her jeans pocket. She has some red liquid smeared on her face and clothes. The red really brings out her brown eyes. It lowkey suits her. Red might be the best colour on her.

I wonder what Dia would look like in a silk red dress. I wonder if it would be like a second skin on her or flow like Champaign on her body. I wonder how her body is- the shape- in a dress. I wonder if she is as attractive in the dress as she is in her boxing kit.

"I have paid your bill for the hospital next few days," Dia says, in an unimpressed voice.

"Thank you, how much do I owe you?" I ask. Trying to grab my phone to transfer the money to her account.

"Nope, you are not paying me back. It is the least I can do," she says. I turn to look at her instead of on the side table where my phone is set.

"Are you sure?" I ask, and she nods her head.

"This is my treat, you could say for accidently but not accidently kissing you when you had a panic attack," she says, making me laugh. A smile goes across her face, making my smile brighter.

"Have you come today to check on me and how I am doing?" I question.

She nods her head, "Mhmm."

"I mean, I can return the kiss if you want?" I ask, she laughs to herself before rolling her eyes. I think the medication is making me be confident.

"Very funny Harandas," she smiles. I don't know if it is the medication making me brave enough to say some of my thoughts out loud, but her reaction is the best thing- it has made my day, my month, my year.

"Should I ask a doctor or nurse to help me with knowing if you are getting better?" she asks as her phone rings. She presses the off button and looks at me, "I will be right back with a nurse."

I nod. I feel a little but lightheaded. I will just close my eyes for a few minutes.

~

"He might be here for longer," someone speaks as I regain consciousness. I open my eyes to three blurry figures. My eyesight clears up and it is seeing a young man, a nurse and Dia looking at me. I sit up, moving the hospital blanket to cover my other half.

"Morning sleepy head," Dia takes a seat on my bed, she has two cups in her hand- it looks like coffee cups from Starbucks.

"Morning," I say in a morning voice, "What time is it?"

"It is nine o'clock in the night," Dia says, "it is Thursday, you haven't slept for over twenty-four hours," Dia informs me, she offers me the cup.

I skeptically take it, "What is it and isn't caffeine at this hour to late."

"Yes, but coffee is life," she answers.

"What did the nurse say?" I ask and Dia laughs as the young man walks out the room. The nurse says before exiting, "I will leave you two to talk."

"You have to go into theatre due to the blood in your lungs not going away. Your parents have been notified but they said they can't make it back in time for your surgery," she informs me, and everything starts to be spinning.

"How?" leaves my mouth as everything in the room starts moving.

"The injury has caused you to have a blood clot in your lungs and if you do not go in for surgery, Zak, you will die," she says. Who would have thought my brother's addiction can put me in a life-threatening situation.

"Whe-when am I go-going in f-for su-surgery," I ask, stumbling on my words.

"Tomorrow but Zak, I will be there," Dia moves of the bed and faces me. Her face is a few inches from mine. She places the cups on the side table and looks at me. She moves closer.

"Do you need a hug?" She questions.

"No, maybe, yeah," I answer her. She moves closer and puts her hands around my shoulders and on around my neck.

I put my hands around her torso.

How could this have happened? I remember Dia fighting for boxing, her being assigned my partner, and now she is caring about me. I remember hearing rumors about Dia and how she is cold hearted but it seems to me, she has a heart, just she hides her heart from people.

"Thanks," I say, Dia moves back slightly.

"Mind returning the kiss?" She asks, making me laugh.

"Really?" I ask, she nods her head before leaning in. Her lips met mine. Our lips touching gently for a second before Dia gets on top of my lap. Never breaking our lips while she moves on top of me. I move my hands from her hips to her waist pulling her closer to me.

She moves her knees away from me and back to me, creating an up and down movement against me- she starts grinding on me. She moves her hand from my shoulder to my hair. She gently tugs my hair making a moan live my lips.

"Ahhumm," someone clears their throat. Dia moves away blushing.

"Sorry," she moves off me, "Ace this is Zak," she points to me, "Zak this Ace."

Ace as in the most feared man? Ace as in the one who owns the gangs? Ace as in one of the riches men in this country? Maybe even the continent for how rich he is. Ace as in Dia's half-brother?

"Yes, that Ace" Ace says, as my face drops, "I will be waiting in the car."

Ace turns around and walks away.

"I should probably go," Dia says.

"Yeah," I say. Dia gets up from me and seems to be walking away really slowly. I want to say to her, to stay but she might be in trouble for kissing a boy or did she kiss me out of pity?