Chapter 30

"Make yourselves comfortable" Mom said and walked in to make dinner. Alicia followed her.

"Need help Miss. Lopez ?"Nonnie offered.
'"No not really , you guys should rest for a while , Alicia is here to help me honey" mom flashed a smile. She's always polite and sweet,  I'm so lucky to have her.

Nonnie grinned and wrapped her Hands around me and kissed my cheek. "Happy advance Merry Christmas Lee bear  ,we've got you presents" she winked.

"Thank you" I tell her , my eyes followed Steve who was sitting on the couch talking to Diona. I have to sepetate them.

"Hey Steve can you help me with something here" I call out. He Joggs towards me.

"What is it ?"

"Let's assist mom in the kitchen" I grab him flashing Diona an angry look. That should help. She was cute , a cute girl , wearing frock , a sweater and thights her hair tied up to a pony tail. I'm pretty sure she felt bad

"Oh you guys want to join too ?" Mom asks grinning. We help her out , me and Steve were making red velvet cookies. While her and Alicia were making plum cakes.

"I feel guilty leaving Diona alone like that" Steve looks at me.
"It's going to be fine , she has Nonnie and James with her" I roll my eyes mixing the ingridiants.

Talk to Alicia my mind screamed.

We start rolling the cookie dough. Diona grabs the doorframe with her pale hands.
"Mind if I join you ?" She asks. Her pretty almond eyes shining.

"Sur-" Steve tries to speak.

"no actually the kitchen is pretty full right now" I interrupt him..

"Okay" she gives an awkward smile and walks out.

Steve looks at me , like what's wrong with u?. Yes I can read his face , years of friendship. He knows that I'm a little annoyed.

He takes the cookie dough tray moving towards the oven and I walk with him. Just as he was walking past Alicia , I pretended to slip on him , I used the cabinet for balance and he tripped on Alicia  , their backs met.

"Are you okay ?" he asked her with concerned eyes holding her shoulder.
Alicia blushed a little tucking her blonde hair behind her ear she smiled."yes I'm okay"

Okay that was a little heartwarming , looking at Steve do that to her. Leah your smart , now all I have to do is make sure Doina doesn't inturrupt them.

"Hey Steve can you take care of the next set , I want to rest" I tell him.

"You've been resting the whole time Leah , you take care of it , I'll go rest"

"No stay" I almost yell."Stay with mom and Alicia" I stress at the word Alicia hoping he gets it. But he doesn't looked confused. I cross my hands below my Chest.

"You stay , I'll stay , if not , I'm coming with you" he tells me.

"It's better you both leave the kitchen" Mom turns around us giving us an evil smile. "That would do me one good".

We both walk out of the kitchen , he joggs to Diona who's watching the TV. Unable to watch that sight , I walk up straight to my room. I open it just to find out Nonnie and Justin making out. "Ouuu I'm sorry , I'm so sorry " I tell them and I almost close the door.

"Ohh Le bear , stay !"Nonnie comes in to stop me and pulls me inside. "We came here to spend time with you" she said.

"Yes spend time with me after telling me that I'm not a good musician , great!"

"Oh my god, you still remember it , no wonder why you were avoiding me afterall" she squeezes my cheeks with her palm."Sit" she tells me. I sit down next to her and she explains herself."For the past few months you haven't been yourself you know that right ? , the bubbly Leah is gone , the play was supposed to be a little energetic and funny , your muisc was sad , and longing. Leah you are a very emotional person you know that what's bothering you?" she holds my shoulder.

I look away and don't respond. No one noticed the dullness in me except her. I take out the phone tucked inside my pocket instead.

"Hey , if my little bear is troubled , Nonnie is troubled too. Fogive me if I'm short tempered , but deep down I love you. We all do , me , Steve , Justin  all of us"

she didn't tell Elissa's name. I still didn't get any replies from her. she pulls the phone from me "attention Leah" she yells. "Spill the tea right now , Justin get out we need privacy" her fiery eyes meet mine. Just as justin walks out tears roll down my face helplessly , bit by bit , reddning my cheeks and nose.

"Ja..mes" my voice cracked.

"What did he do ?"

"I- he ignored me , the whole time , after you know after being sort of close to me two months ago. I couldn't help but wonder what's wrong with me?".

"No no Le bears , it's not James I'm sure , it's because the school is ending and you have to keep your grades up to get into ivy ," she wipes my tears.

"Maybe" I let out a sob.

"See , James is someone far away , not within your friends group , you know that he's a jerk , he talks for a while and draws a border and walks away. He doesn't like to get distracted".

"But ,..." I try to say something but its true , "..also because I'm loosing Elissa , for the past few months she's been closer to Veronica and ignoring me."

"Can you mix light with darkness ? In the presence of light , darkness tends to fade Leah , it's the same for you and  Elissa , she can't stand you because you are not like her Le bears"

"what do you mean ? " I sniff.

"She's on drugs , like total junkie. Her eyes were sometimes red in school. She gives the teachers only one excuse : depression. She's been on alcohol, and she even got suspended for a few days. Her grades have gone terribly low. She doesn't even talk to anyone , not even Steve. And she's been hooking up with varonica, would you do something like that Leah , ? Do you have such habits tell me ?"

I shook my head. "No I don't" I press my lips together as I continue to cry. "Even if I try to , I can't , ropes of at least some amount of morality has bound me , you know because of church and everything. That is my freedom, freedom from addiction" I lie down on the bed stretching my limbs a little."But that doesn't mean she can ignore me like that"

"Oh Leah the answer is simple , she must've found you boring or she must be feeling guilt around you." She tells lying down beside me.

I search my dressing cabinet for the portrait she drew for me. I look at the rigid face James had , Elissa's painting strokes beautifully captured his handsome face.

"what's that ?" Nonnie followes Me. Patting my back. examining the picture.

"You drew it ?"

"Elissa did" I whisper.

She smiled. "Save it , the only reminders of your friend and your crush . what a combination"

"Nonnie I will , for the rest of my life I'll guard it with everything I've got"

That's when I get a message notification  in my phone and it's from Elissa.