Chapter 18

"Steve can you drop this in my locker please" I tell him as I make myself comfortable in bed handing him the reply letter I wrote. He nodds and rushes to the exit. I sit there looking around my head still hurts like anything. My body trembles from the pain.

Steve comes in after keeping my reply letter. "Can you please get my history text book since I'll missing the class later today I could learn something". I tell him he rushes again to my locker to get it then he huffs and puffs. I'm pretty sure that the locker is pretty far from the infirmary. "I'm bored" I finally tell him.
"Can we sing a song?" He asks me.
"Don't you have maths right now ?" I ask him. The only classes that we don't have together is math. "Ah well, I'm not interested and your more important anyways" he tells me.
"Fine then" I agree. I wanted company more than anything.
"How about Night changes"
"Hmm sounds like it"
He took a deep breath and started singing

"Goin' out tonight, changes into something red
Her mother doesn't like that kind of dress"

And I joined him from the next line.

"Everything she never had she's showin' off
Drivin' too fast, moon is breakin' through her hair
She's headin' for somethin' that she won't forget
Havin' no regrets is all that she really wants".

Our voices blends as we continue the lyrics . and finally we look into each others eyes when we finished

"Even when the night changes
It will never change me and you".

Steves eyes looked different than usual. He looked at me deeply like he'd loose me as time goes by.

"Can you come closer" I tell him. He walks towards me. I hold his hand. And give him a reassuring smile. "Thank you for being there with me , through everything Steve, I'll never leave you okay ?"
"I know Leah..." he gives out a small smile.

"Heard something crazy happened here". It was Nonnie. "Are you okay ?" she asked me.
"Yeah I am" I tell her.
She sits in the corner of my bed. "so you can't come to practice today ?". She asks me.
I nodd.
She presses her lips together.
"Nonnie did you see Elissa somewhere ?" I ask her. Nonnie curled her blonde hair. "Oh she's busy with that blue haired girl , I told her about what happened. She was like ..she'll catch up with you later because she has English classes".

"Oh..." I tell her. Justin comes in and he had cold coffee in his hand. He places it on my night stand. "Nonnie told me you weren't alright so, I managed to get you this". He gave me a reassuring smile."make a happy recovery alright" He added and hugged Nonnie.

"Without your energy the school band is nothing" Nonnie smiled holding my leg. "She's right" Steve added. I looked at him and smiled. Then I looked at my hand I was still holding him. I let loose.

"You guys should start dating sometime" Nonnie commented. "Trust me you guys would make the cutest couple in whole school"
"No way" both of us scream in unison.
"Thats disgusting" Steve added.
"Yea I'd never date a psychopath" I yell.
"I never date hyper active girls" he added
"I'd never date an uncool religious freak"
"I'd never date a constant attention seeking crybaby"
"I'd never date a boy who judges every other girl"
"I don't do that , I just reject them"
"seriously ?! You be like no way Leah she's a hoe , no way Leah she's so dumb ...worst part is I am an attention seeking crybaby now"

"Kay both of you..." Nonnie interrupts but Steve decides to ignore

"Of course truth hurts" he tells me
"You know what ? I can prove to you I don't need your attention anymore , goodbye" I bang the night desk spilling the coffee Justin bought. Nonnie slams her forehead.

"I'm sorry I..."I try to tell her trying to get off my bed.

"You should stop being a klutz Leah." she rolls her eyes. Justin looked a little upset because the coffee is wasted.
"Ima call the schoolmaid" Steve tells us and  gets out of the scene.

"Justin could you get her another one" Nonnie requests.
"I don't..."
"Shut up Leah I know how much you love coffee" Nonnie silences me as Justin walks out without questioning her.

Me and Nonnie were alone staring at each other.
"I hate Patricia" she tells me. "Now that she's messing around with my band mate its so annoying" she tells me.
"why do you hate her exactly?" I ask.
"She actually used to like Justin before , and she did all the annoying stuff  trying to get his attention, I mean who is even attracted to her ?" Nonnie rolls her eyes.
"She is doing the same thing to me now. She's getting so cheezy with James I'm absolutely hating it" I tell her. "Shes leaning down , showing off her cleft, getting touchy touchy my stomach is burning".
"Oh so your crush is James huh" Nonnie smirks.
"So you never knew?" I ask her.
"No its funny , he was my eight grade crush" she laughed.
"really I thought he was the type no one would fall for, especially you Nonnie".
"Trust me, he's the type every girl would fall for , he's tall , mysterious, compassionate , genuine and low key handsome" she tells brushing her hair.
"Steve often complained about how uncool he looks with all that pimples on his face and that big of a nerd he is."
Nonnie laughed ."Steve would obviously do that because he has a crush on you , he'd never want you to like someone else"
"No way ,we are genuine friends"
"I could bet a thousand dollars , that he has a crush on you"
"You literally saw Nonnie how he  yelled at me , I'm just a pathetic crybaby to him".
She laughs again.
"What" I ask her.
"Cant you see its obvious the way he behaves towards you, your so special to him Leah".
"No way , how can you tell ?"
"Leah you know I used to have a crush on Steve ?"
"Who did you not have a crush on?"
"I don't know" Nonnie laughs "Its me I guess" she presses her lips together.
"The only reason I didnt tell him is because when I see you guys together I see the happiest of him. He doesn't treat you like other girls. He treats you so special "
"That is because we are best friends Nonnie" I finish the conversation.
"Fine no point explaining"she rolled her eyes. Steve walks in with schoolmaid. While she was cleaning I was starting at Steve who was looking at her work. What are the odds that he actually likes me.