Chapter 57

The location he made me drive to was the beach. It's been a while since I came here. The place he marked seemed deserted, it was rockey. I breathe in the coastal air, sitting on top of the rock, the morning view was so beautiful and the sun started to rise. I wasn't really in a beach outfit. I wore blue cami top, shots and delicate white crochet shrug and a blue flower clip. I took my camera along with me. Since I was going to the beach, I decided to take a frew pictures of myself in the sunrise. Then I continued to read the letter.

This place gives me peace , I usually smoke my cigarette and read books, sometimes when I feel my house is too noisy for me, this place is my escapism, escapism from the reality. From sunrise to sunset, I sit here, I paint the view I walk around and throw stones in water.

There's a secret hiding place I know, it's a cave, a beautiful one. Walk down from wherever you are, the rocks are a little slippery so I suggest you remove your shoes, be careful very careful when you get down and make sure your grip is tight. I suggest you rub sand on your hands before you do so. Carefully once you get down, towards your left, there's a cave.

I followed his instructions and walked forward, I slowly got down rubbing sand on my hand. The rocks are pretty high, but not high enough to cause my death. I took a few hops and managed to climb down. Like he said towards my left there was a cave. A very small one, it could go unnoticed. I bend my head and walked in. My jaw dropped from the view. A little sunshine lighting up the stagnant water over there. There was a clean, huge pool of water reflecting a blue green colour. I was standing on the sand. There were a few water Lilies making it look even more prettier. There were a few climbers hanging from the top. This place is magical. I sat down and continued to read the letter.

I know you must be amazed by the view, I was amazed too. I knew I had to paint it. There should be three flat stones stacked on each other somewhere out there. If you can see it, I suggest you dig under it. You'll find something amazing.

I looked around and like he said, in the corner there were three flat stones stacked on each other. I went and I dug out the sand with my hands. There was a vintage box and a lot's of paintings. And a journal. The paintings were mostly paintings of the beach. The sunrise, sunset. I'm amazed by his talent. He's truly a great artist. Theres so much perfection and detail in those paintings it's as if I'm holding a photograph. As of for the journal it looked too dusty and it was almost decomposing.

You must've found a journal in there, if your following along, don't, don't you read it, there are a few pages I'd like to show you. But wait okay ? I'll let u know when to read it. Promise me you won't read it yet.

Fine I promise him.

so how are the paintings? Do you like them?, well they found a new owner now. You can take them along with you, no, you  must take them along with you.
Yours,
anonymous

I smile at the letter, if it were ten years ago, I'm sure I would've fallen in love with this guy. He takes so much effort , my thoughts were circling around his health. I wonder how is he now , I wonder if he's better or if he's... Okay I don't want to think of that possibility.
For the last time I look at the view and I make my way up. I had a hard time climbing up with the box in my hand. This box is going back to it's owner once I find him. I lean on my car and take out the next letter.

Dear Leah,

The letter looked smudged. It looked like it was damped before he mailed it to me.

My mom died.

My hand went to my mouth.

I'm devastated, I couldn't even tell her how much I loved her, I couldn't even be there with her. With great difficulty I attended her funeral on my wheelchair. My father couldn't make it, because his life is in threat all the time. He has to take adequate measures to come out and visit us. He's always in hiding. Yea Leah my father is a criminal. I'm not going to tell you about what business he does but it's disgusting to live in a mansion and live in luxury with the money that was earned from killing innocent lives.

Feels like I have blood on my hands. Feels like I should let you go sometimes. I feel like I'll be caging an angel with me. Caged into my darkness which might consume the light in you. This is one of the reason why I couldn't build the courage to ask you out. You'd be happier with Steve.

I feel like an orphan, no parents. Deserted, isolated. My sister on the other hand, she is under my aunts care she comes to visit me sometimes and we share the same sorrow. I don't know why I'm oversharing everything with you, but I think you need to know before we are together. If you don't want to share the pain I totally get it.

Yours,
Anonymous.

I wish I was there for him
I wish, I wish, I wish. I could only wish when tears streamed down my face. I do have too much empathy towards random people don't I? But this is not a random person, he's a person who loved me. He is a person who had no other except me at that point. He trusted nobody but me and I on the other hand din't even care about his existence. Didn't even care to check the handwriting, didn't even care to question Steve and I blindly believed it. Deep down I do believe I deserve it, I'll never in my life will be this careless again. I've learnt a huge lesson from this.

Once I reached home I unpacked the paintings and showed it to dad. He was amazed by what I found and he told me he'd frame them and we can hang them around in the house. I nodded , smiled at him and hugged him.