Treinta Y Ocho/Thirty Eight

Începe de la început

"You ever drive out here again... I'll bury you in these hills."

~ MAYANS ~ ~ MAYANS ~

The sun was bright, beating down over the local street vendors standing underneath a few umbrellas which offered little to no comfort from the harsh heat. It was humid. Kids who raced home from school rushed down the street, cars piled up as they waited for their turn at pick up near the crosswalk at the corner of the middle school, the small town was alive and foreign to her. She hadn't been this far up North in years. Her shirt stuck against her clammy skin, sweat forming at her hairline as she waited. She took a deep breath, a million things racing through her mind once she saw the familiar form making it's way to her.

"It's hot as fuck." Her Uncle greeted, noticing her dark red cheeks against the paleness of her skin, "You okay?"

"Yeah." She nodded, squinting after making the mistake to look over at him, the bright sun nearly blinding her.

Happy looked around the vacant park. A few trees, picnic benches, a public water fountain (that looked like it'd seen better days) all surrounded by a tall chain link fence. The backyards of neighboring houses surrounded the park on all sides, their redwood fences nearly a few inches from the park's own. A few kids entered the park some feet away, chatting amongst themselves, whispering when they saw the two before continuing on towards a table at the back. Izzy was surprised the cement tables hadn't been littered with graffiti. It seemed to be a theme at the several other parks she had passed.

"What did you want to talk about?" Happy faced her, blocking the sun from her, already feeling his back burning from the triple digit heat.

Izzy sat on the park bench, her back against the table, facing her Uncle. She found it difficult to meet his gaze. It had nothing to do with the harsh temperature.

"I'm pregnant." She replied, remembering the last time she'd been in a park like this with EZ in Santo Padre. She remembered the conversation they had, him fresh out of prison, it all felt like a lifetime ago.

"Okay." Happy said. Like it was simple. Like she was simply stating a fact- hey, Happy, the sky's blue.

"You're not-" She stopped herself, not wanting to start a fight, "Not the reaction I was expecting."

"Does he know?"

"No."

Happy lifted his eyebrows at that. If he was angry, she couldn't tell.

"I'm early still. I just, I just... wanted to tell someone... you." She ran a hand over her temple, grimacing at the sweat on her hands, rubbing it on her jeans, "I know the timing's all fucked up, and I know that you have your own stuff going on right now, but I-"

"You're gonna be a great mom." He interrupted her, stopping her nervous rambling.

Izzy sensed there was so much more he wanted to say, but opted to ignore it and stand. She wrapped her arms around him, closing her eyes for a moment.

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"Thanks, Happy."

He wrapped his arms around her, wanted to tell her to leave him, to get away from him and the club, that the war between the Sons and Mayans was just getting worse. He suppressed the urge to berate her baby daddy, shoved down all the true things he wanted to just tell her, get off his chest. It wouldn't make a difference. She never listened to him. Not really.