Chapter Twenty Three

Dusk threw one of the packages at the soldier. At first Kane thought he imagined it, but no, the yellow crate slammed right into the union marine's face plate. Staggering him as he dropped his rifle. Dusk ran full speed into him, knocking him on the ground. Before the soldier could actually react, Tarrus moved up and shot into the soldier's chest. Dusk turned back to the lykoi after picking up the package.

"Thanks for the assist." Tarrus smirked,

"Anytime." Three additional pirates moved in the direction that squad came from.

"That was from the right." Kane pointed out, starting to run again as the gunfire from behind became louder. Helix was close by, letting his weapons cool down. Dusk and Tarrus followed as well,

"You think they are trying to surround us even though we are moving?" he asked, Kane only raised a brow, answering the lykoi's question. He then gave a short, half laugh,

"Bastards." Kane wondered how pirates there were still alive. From the sounds of the fighting, he assumed there were still quite a few. But assumed those numbers were dwindling fast. Kane didn't exactly get a number count when the U.G.G first ambushed them. Though it definitely looked like a lot. More than they had available.

"Any idea how far Draz is from us?" Kane asked, sounding desperate. His only plan was to only push towards her location and hold off the U.G.G but they had brought far more troops than he had originally anticipated. Though he didn't know exactly what to expect in the first place. This was his first time trying to plan avoiding union soldiers trying to gun him down.

"Not close." Dusk replied simply, and that was enough for Kane. "At this rate, I estimate we have twenty minutes before our survival rates plummet."

Twenty minutes.

If Kane's heart wasn't pounding out of his chest before, it definitely was now.

"If Draz wants whatever the hell is in those damn boxes so badly, she better send someone quick." Tarrus said, gritting his teeth as he kept the heavy plasma shotgun tight in his hands.

"Well, I'd like to hope those chances remain high." Kane said, turning to Dusk to only see a grim expression on his digital face.

"Alright," Kane sighed, "What if we all regrouped? Fighting until she sends help?" He asked, ignoring Tarrus's confused face. "Would that at least buy us more time?" Dusk was silent for a couple seconds before answering,

"Yes. That would give us approximately thirty minutes." Before Tarrus could try to reject the idea, Kane turned to him,

"Tarrus, think you can relay the message?" The lykoi nodded, not even bothering to fight since time was short.

"Yes, but where can we meet?" He asked, not finding a very defensible location. Kane darted his head in all sides. Trying to find something, anything. However, he was only seeing the same thing as Tarrus, trees, bush and a few rocks scattered. Kane then pointed ahead, where two dead trees covered each side.

"There! That's our best bet for now!" Tarrus then brought his holo-watch up to his face. Giving a small prayer to himself that this crazy idea will work. "Everyone! This is Tarrus! Come meet at our location! Running isn't working! It'll only be a matter of time until we are surrounded! We must fight and hold them off! We are by the two dead trees straight ahead! Hurry! We'll cover you!" He shouted, ending the transmission, hiding behind the tree across from Kane. Both of them peeked to face the rear, where the brunt of the U.G.G forces were coming. A few squads and remains of pirates were already nearby when Tarrus made the call. In moments they moved in and set themselves up to the best of their abilities. Kane was grateful most of those with him had ranged weapons. He thought those that charged with melee weapons were insane, yet he didn't complain. He assumed that they managed to take down a few marines during their fight.

"So this is it?" One of the pirate's asked, a gwarian, she aimed her stolen union rifle at the rear as well. "We wait for death to approach?" Kane wanted to say something either comforting or inspiring for her. Anything to reassure she could survive this. But, he had nothing. He too was terrified for what was about to come their way. Though, he refused to simply stay silent.

"Yes," He started, which he received a few gasps from that in response. "Death, the U.G.G are coming. And I won't lie, we will be fighting them. For all we know, we are already surrounded. Now, we can only hope Draz will send help. If not, die here. But I won't be easy for them. " He continued, turning to face every pirate with him, alongside those that just got there. "I may not be a fighter like you, but I'll make damn sure I'll fight and struggle until they manage to put a bullet in my head." He said bluntly, sounding far darker than he expected. But the look on the gwarian changed, she became serious, maybe even angry. Not at him, but at those charging towards them. "Sounds perfect to me." She replied, putting the sight to her eye. Ready to pop the first marine she found. The others did similar moves, in all directions they prepared themselves for a fight. A fight no one was prepared to win. Regardless of that, they were ready as they could ever be. Behind the natural cover this planet provided and with stolen, possibly modified weapons, this was their last stand. Kane turned to his brothers in arms. Helix was right beside Kane, aiming his weapons at the rear as well. The little bot's screen was red. Most likely indicating he was in an attack mode. Dusk and Tarrus who were both staring intently at the rear. Dusk placed the packages on his back, which magnetically connected. One of the pirates spotted this and pulled out his pistol. "Hey Dusk! Take this!" He yelled, tossing the hand held weapon towards the anvol. Who swiftly turned around and took it. The pistol was something very standard, at most U.G.G police would use. Dusk didn't worry, as he cocked the pistol he knew he could still take down a few marines with this. Tarrus on the other hand wiggled his fingers on the grip of his Vandal. A sigh came out of him as he waited. Kane, he aimed his rifle at the rear, shaking a little. There was no shame in his apparent fear. He was still very new to combat, but he still planned on giving his all. At the very least he could see the G.L face to face. See the man who'd spent so much time, resources, soldiers and blood to finally get to him.