Chapter Seven

A duo of Union soldiers barely got a few seconds to react as a sudden door burst open before Dusk quickly opened fire on the pair. Two green bolts slammed into the soldier's faceplates. Dusk waited for the bodies to fall before pushing up. Kane was close behind, Lance in both hands as he checked their rear.

"All clear on my end," Kane said, which only made Dusk chuckle.

"It's only clear on your end thanks to me. Have you even fired your lance yet?" The anvol asked with a chuckle.

"I-I'm working on it!" Kane quipped back. "I just-" Dusk then placed a finger on Kane's face.

"Ah ah. I believe it when I see it, Mr. Lons." Kane scrunched his face as Dusk removed his finger, who pushed up right after. As much as Kane wanted to say a comeback of sorts, he kept quiet, only sighing with a chuckle before catching up.

When Dusk detected Kane jogging up behind him he checked the map he had downloaded of the base.

"We shouldn't be too far from the nearest exit." He started, seeing additional enemies on his HUD. "Though I'd recommend we hurry." Dusk then turned back with a smirk plastered on his screen. "Unless you want to be interrogated by a less friendly and handsome anvol." He teased. Kane only shook his head as he caught up.

"Heh, well, you managed to get half of that information correct." Kane shot back with a grin. Dusk's face swapped to a more shocked expression as Kane came right beside him.

"Ha! Not bad Mr. Lons." He smirked digitally. However, both of these expressions became serious once they stopped at the next door. With their backs at the wall, Dusk wasted no time as he typed in the keycode he had. After a beep, the door unlocked.

"OPEN FIRE!!!"

A squad of union soldiers immediately fired their rifles at the opening door. Forcing Dusk and Kane to stay hidden behind the sides of the door.

"Get back Mr. Lons!" Dusk barked, but Kane hardly had time to react as the soldiers pushed through the door! The first two instantly brought their attention to each side, one facing Kane, the other at Dusk. Kane didn't think twice before lunging himself at the soldier in front of him. His Lance slipped out of his fingers as he took hold of the soldier's rifle with both hands. Forcing the weapon upwards when the soldier tried to fire, spraying the roof with bullets. Meanwhile Dusk backhanded his soldier's face, shattering the protective glass on the faceplate of his helmet. Knocking him back, Dusk swiftly brought his Lance and fired twice at the soldier's chest. Kane continued to struggle to keep the soldier from shooting him. Twisting the rifle left and right as the weapon kept on firing. Dusk attempted to aim his Lance at the soldier's back, however, the other two soldiers from the squad quickly rushed in. Taking his attention away. Before the first could bring his weapon up, Dusk blasted his face with a green bolt, his body slamming into the wall. The other soldier fired quickly, managing to shoot the Lance out of Dusk's hand as he opened fire on the now defenceless anvol. Hearing the click from the soldier's rifle. Kane, with all of his strength, pushed the soldier into a wall. Using the few seconds he had, hurriedly Kane scooped up the fallen Lance and with both hands having a tight grip he quickly fired three times into the soldier. Dropping him before he had a chance to reload. He then turned to Dusk, who was using his arms to protect his lightly armoured head as he was pinned at the wall. The soldiers fired shot after shot into him while stepping closer. Kane aimed his Lance at the soldiers before rapidly pulling the trigger. Using every shot in his magazine to take them down. With dark burns scorched onto their backs, they smashed into the floor. Without even waiting for more soldiers to enter, Kane dashed to check on Dusk. Who was still sitting at the corner of the wall, his face peeking from his arms.