Chapter Seventeen

The space battle over Jev was almost as chaotic as the invasion on the ground. Communications to the ground were established within fifteen minutes of the next wave of battalions being sent in. Though the feed was distorted. The comm tower was set up quickly. So only two cameras were placed at the moment. Alan stood by the monitors the feed was being displayed too.

Gun and laser fire filled large portions of the feed, union soldiers forced into using their vehicles and mechs as cover. Even the dropships had to stay to help the soldiers survive. Spraying a barrage of lasers down at the incoming pirates. Yet their numbers seemed endless. Tanks and mechs were soon in combat with not only the infantry but other pirates mechs being deployed in their area. From the two angles Alan could see, one thing was clear.

His soldiers were surrounded.

Pinned, unable to do much more than hold their position. However, as Alan watched half a platoon of soldiers get mowed down by a pirate sentry. He knew he would need to act quickly. The other battalions were still getting prepared to drop. So reinforcements weren't an option at the moment.

"Captain, you're in command of the fleet, stay on the offensive. We can't allow the pirates to send additional troops from their ships." Alan ordered. With salute the Captain got to work. Bringing his attention to the crew member working by the monitors he asked,

"We have communications to give orders?" The gwarian nodded, handing over a headset to the G.L.

"It may be as distorted as the video feed. But it works sir." She added, watching Alan put the headset on.

"Just say the word." The crew member said, hovering her finger over the communication button. Press to talk communications were hardly used. Through it allowed any secret information to be easily unable to be heard as long as the user let go of the button to talk. It was old, but effective. Alan nodded,

"Go." The crew member then pressed and held the button for him.

"This is Galactic Leader Alan speaking, is anyone reading?" He asked, looking at the first screen, which not only showed the battle but the communications terminal placed by the comm tower. When the light turned blue, indicating someone was trying to reach them, Alan waited a few minutes before a soldier noticed and took the headset.

"H-zz-llo..?? I- his...ap-tin--zzzt..al?" The male voice asked. Alan didn't flinch, even though it was more than distorted, he was able to get the general idea of the question.

"Negative, this is the Galactic leader. Who am I speaking too?" he asked calmly. Watching a burst of laser brush past the soldier's helmet.

"Ma--ZZZT--or...How-zttt..W--zzz...aken-h-heav---tzzz...N-ed...up...-Ztt-ow!" The soldier shouted. Still sounding horrible, the sounds of combat hardly helped. Though Alan was able to get the important information,

"Major Howard, I need you to have your remaining mechs push forward. Allow them to destroy the swarm of infantry while your troops and vehicles cover them from enemy mechs. Do you understand?" He ordered. Awaiting his reply.

Howard however, had to duck under for cover. Pulling out a standard union laser pistol as two pirates jumped over an opening in his defenses! One of the pirates carried a hatchet. A barbaric looking melee weapon, while the other was going in with his fists and a rock! Howard was swift though, quickly raising his weapon to fire a red bolt in the first pirates chest. The other seemed shocked, though enraged soon after. Yelling something Alan couldn't quite catch before getting two lasers shot through him. One in the stomach, the other in the head.

After dispatching the two pirates, Howard picked the headset back up.

"-es...I---zztt-re--...ou..ech....Mov--zztttttzz..." From there it was only static. Alan nodded to the crew member. She immediately removed her finger from the button. Getting back to work as Alan returned the head set.