Chapter Twenty One

"Watch your flank!" Axel shouted, pulling up his union rifle to blast a pirate charging behind Fay. The lifeless pirate slammed back onto the ground, dropping his crude melee weapon. Fay had just emptied her last magazine, plus she didn't even notice the brute sneaking up behind her. In the chaos of battle, it became easy to let your back become unguarded. As you would expect your fellow soldiers to be nearby. Which in this case Axel was able to spot the pirate before he could even touch Fay. Though she was extremely grateful for that, she showed it by giving a thankful nod before slamming in a fresh mag in her rifle. Fay cursed herself for allowing that to happen. Catching up with the rest of her squad, who were suppressing another group of pirates on a hill they and another platoon managed to capture. With plenty of rocks and debris from vehicles to use as cover. Axel was close by, spraying down bullets at more pirates that tried to move from their cover. The sergeant spotted the two and waved them over.

"Over here!" He shouted. The pair moved to crouch down by him, Fay spotted private Alis firing down the hill, but drooped a ear,

"Where's Erans?" She asked, to which the sergeant only replied by pulling out a pair of dog tags.

"He got shot minutes after exiting the drop ship." He said calmly, yet with a hint of sorrow. Losing soldiers hardly got easier. Fay sighed, knowing she can't allow herself to get sucked into her emotions. She hardly knew Erans, but he had potential.

Had. Damn.

Shaking herself out of it, Fay then looked at the sergeant,

"Orders, sir?" She asked, wanting to swap the topic quickly. Checking his holo-watch, the same orders appeared,

"We have been ordered to assist in pushing towards Drazz's location, under the command of major Howard until the G.L returns." The sergeant replied, getting ready to stand with his rifle tight in his hands. "Understood." Both Axel and Fay said.

"Until we get the orders to move, we're gonna use this position to our advantage, get to it everyone!" He barked, turning around and began firing his rifle. Axel soon joined, crouching beside the sergeant and carefully picking off more pirates that came onto the field below. Fay crouched near Axel, taking a moment to observe the battle. To her left, she saw other U.G.G infantry push alongside tanks and mechs. Down at the field, they were the main attack group. While those on the outside were meant to provide support for the push. Which is why taking this hill was currently essential. Having the high ground gave the U.G.G an advantage needed when numbers were limited. Fay spotted a handful of groups of pirates suddenly rushing for the hill!

"To the right! Pirates pushing in!" Fay shouted as loud as she could! Not only trying to grab the attention of her squadmates. Other squads nearby managed to hear her, turning to the bottom right to spot the incoming pirates! Those squads tried to warn those that were closest. Most were able to turn and open fire! A few weren't so quick. They were swiftly shot down, plummeting to the ground. Those that were close to the pirates tried to move back! As the pirates were relentlessly charging forward! Uncaring for the ammunition being fired upon them! Fay aimed her rifle in the direction of those trying to fall back! Hoping she could at least provide some covering fire while Axel, the sergeant, and other squads kept firing below. A few other soldiers had the same idea as Fay when they spotted her aiming her rifle at the close attackers. Fay kept her finger close to the trigger as more soldiers moved back, one of them seemed to be communicating on their holo-watch. Barking orders, Fay could barely hear due to the combat. However, a sudden thump that shook the ground took her off guard. Though she kept her balance. Though the thump came again, much heavier this time! At first, Fay had worried it was a pirate mech! To which it would shred both her and most of the infantry on this hill easily! However, she soon realized it was coming from an ally Escort! A sudden barrage of missiles dropped onto a majority of the pirates that attempted to push! Obliterating them in seconds! The rest were sent flying, slamming into rocks, debris or simply the ground. As the dust cleared from the explosion, a massive, towering robot known as the Escort appeared! Deploying a shield around the squads on the hill! While firing another barrage of missiles at the enemy below! Fay couldn't help but look at the enormous machine in awe! Though it's fighting capabilities were limited to either its missiles or crushing an enemy underfoot, the Escort's shields made it an excellent support unit. Alongside the fact the massive A.I core stored inside made the machines rather intelligent and even flexible in battle. In fact, Fay was willing to bet the Escort warned the U.G.G the barrage was incoming. Fay watched it's massive triangle shaped "eye" scan the battlefield. Most likely calculating the most optimal area to fire to give the most damage.
"We got new orders!" The sergeant then shouted, getting the squads attention. Fay turned to the sergeant, ready to listen. "Everyone is needed to force the current pirates to retreat, the U.G.G mechs and Escorts have managed to heavily weaken their defenses here and need to make use of that." The sergeant explained.

"We are pushing the moment that Escort moves." He ordered, "Stick to it, it may be our only chance of surviving this." Everyone nodded at that, showing they understood. "Good, for now, we keep on suppressing these bastards." The sergeant ordered again, already firing his rifle after reloading with a fresh mag. Fay and the others joined in, firing at the pirates that were heavily pinned as the main attack force had already started to move in! Tanks and mechs were up front, with infantry using them as mobile cover. A few meches were in the back however, those with longer ranged weapons or anti air. After feeling an abrupt and heavy THUD, everyone jumped over their cover as the Escort began to walk forward. The squad stood close, giving only a few feet worth of distance as they kept on firing on the pirates! Who were either trying to flee or were forced to hide in cover before being annihilated. Fay spotted a few pirate mechs becoming desperately sloppy as they attempted to hold the U.G.G forces back. Refurbished Sentries rushed towards the main attack force! Fring light machine guns at the advancing union forces! However, this hardly helped as the union mechs immediately opened fire at the charging machines! A series of lasers, bullets and missiles soared towards the pirates, muting out the pilots screams inside as they exploded! Sending the burnt remains scattering behind! Fay kept an eye on one mech that only lost its legs. Toppling on the ground with a thump! The pirate pilot managed to scramble out, however, by that point several squads of union marines spotted him and instantly gunned him down. From there, the other pirates ran. Firing blindly behind them as they retreated. Then, other than the squad leaders barking out orders and the sounds of U.G.G vehicles and mechs moving, it was quiet. The L.Z was secured, and they had one that fight. Though it was victorious, the U.G.G had lost many to gain this area. Medics carrying wounded soldiers rushed past Fay and her squad. Running towards a transport to bring them off planet. Fay wondered how many actually managed to only become wounded. Looking across the land, she could see many lifeless bodies scattered around. Many were U.G.G, she doubted many from the first and second wave survived. The Escort seemed to continue to follow the squads with Fay's as they moved towards the main attack force. At the front of that massive group of the U.G.G troops was Lieutenant Howard. He held his holo-watch up to his face as he spoke, which transmitted his voice to the other squads that would've been too far away to hear his voice.

"Excellent work everyone!" He yelled trumphly, "With our L.Z secured, we can finally start our assault on this filthy neutral world! We will be swift! We will destroy the pirate scum that threatens our people and our worlds!" He shouted, raising a fist in the air! Receiving a rage filled roar from the soldiers! "After receiving the order from our Galactic Leader, who is off fighting a company of pirate reinforcements as we speak, we are to assault the main city Draz hides herself in! Once we rip her out her defenses and eliminate her, we are to escort the G.L back to transport and leave this horrid planet for another time." He ordered, watching the soldiers collectively give him a salute.

"Good, now, prepare yourself soldiers. Take a look around you, what you see is all we have. No more is coming to join us in this upcoming battle. Those brutes won't give up easily once we march onto their doorstep. Lock and load, have each other's back and we'll make it out of here alive." The lieutenant said, reloading his pistol before turning to lead the march. Every soldier, vehicle and mech started to follow. Forming a more defensive formation as the tanks were still in the front. Mechs were either on the sides and the back of the formation. Then Escorts were within the middle, providing their enormous dome shields to protect the infantry. Fay and her squad were on the right of the formation, their Escort still nearby while a Nemesis stomped behind their squad. Creating a vibration under the ground with each of it's heavy steps. Each of its four legs were nearly twice the size of her. It was a good thing it was on her side. She could bet those Nemesis's in the rear provided plenty of assistance in taking down the pirate vehicles and mechs at the L.Z.

"How are you doing?" Axel asked from her left. She then turned to face him, their helmets still blocking any facial expressions.

"Alright. Let's save the question for when we got off this rock." She said back, checking her ammo counter on her rifle. The green LED read that her current magazine was twenty three out of forty. Which was enough for her to keep it in.

"Right." Axel said with a sigh, since the possibility of not coming home was always available in battle.

Just like for Erans.