Chapter Eleven

The seemingly endless sea of space always fascinated Alan. With every trip, every look in the telescope and even just on his homeworld, the unknown beauty of space was something special to him. Sitting at one of the observation decks, Alan enjoyed a drink while sitting on a leather couch facing a large window facing the void of space. A soft tune of chill electronic music played in the background. Taking a sip of his drink, Alan sighed as he rested back on the couch. Watching every star and planet glide along the window as the capital ship sailed forward.

Though when he heard the door open behind him, that was certainly unexpected.

"Mr. Dokes?" The voice asked, seeming a bit...shy. Odd, though Alan nodded before replying,

"Of course, please come in." The person then entered, closing the door behind him. He heard footsteps getting closer before looking to his right.

"I'm sorry if this is a bad time, I tried to see you in your office but the guards told me you were out and-" Alan chuckled to cut her off,

"Hey, it's more than alright." He assured, soon seeing I was one of the soldiers from the defense garrison. The one who was in tears at his office, Fay Innes.

"Ah, Ms. Innes, this was an unexpected visit." He said, quickly noticing her uncomfortable posture, "Well take a seat, don't seem so nervous." The soldier seemed surprised by how casual he was acting. Which happens more often than not. Taking a seat on the couch, Fay couldn't help but smile lightly,

"You usually like this...you know. Not professional often?" She then asked, which made the G.L chuckle.

"Yes, I know it may not look as good for someone of my authority, but I can't stand having to be that serious all the time. Trust me, it gets old real quick." Alan laughed. Though as the laughing died down, he turned back to Fay,

"Though, I doubt that was merely the only reason you came here. Unless you wanted to enjoy the view as well?" Fay's smile soon slowly went down,

"Not...Not quite." She said, scratching her neck nervously.

"Alright, well your gonna have to tell me eventually." He said, taking another sip. She nodded from that,

"Yes, yes of course. I just... for starters I wanted to thank you for mentioning the loss of my fiance" She said, swallowing down hard. Feeling a lump in her throat as she forced herself to shed no tears. Alan placed his drink on the table before placing his hands on his lap.

"You're most welcome, Fay, though I never met the man in person. I'm more than sure he was a great man. I'm just ashamed he had to go in such a fashion." Alan then paused before continuing, "The sergeant did inform you of being able to go on leave, correct?" Fay nodded slowly.

"Yes. I just...want to finish this one last mission. It's the least I can do for him..." Alan paused to think as both of them looked out the window. Then, getting up, he moved to the counter to pour himself another drink,

"Do you want anything?" He asked, placing the bottle of his choice down. Fay did think about it for a good few seconds before declining,

"No thanks, I'm fine." Alan then placed the bottle away before sitting back down. When taking another sip, he noticed Fay staring into the window.

"It's easy isn't it? Just to watch and wonder."

"Yeah, a simple reminder of our place in the universe I guess..."

"Oh? What do you think that is?" Alan asked, seeming interested by the statement. Fay shrugged as she sunk back into the couch.

"Does it not...I don't know, make you feel so tiny?" She tried to ask back. Alan only shook his head,

"No, not at all actually." Alan answered. "I know where I am and where I'm needed, that's more than enough to allow me to feel as big or small as I need to be." He continued.

"Well, I mean, you are the Galactic Leader after all." Fay shot back. Alan however pointed a finger at himself,

"True, though I started exactly where you are. A soldier fighting for the people and the Galactic Leader before me. Hence the prosthetics." Alan said, showing his mechanical arm to Fay. Stretch then clenching his fingers into a fist. The sleek silver metal that was his arm moved very robotically yet was rather impressively smooth with each movement.

"You know, I'm surprised you were able to afford such improvements on a soldier's salary." Fay said. Looking at the entire mechanical half of Alan. Since she remembered the few reports she's read about him, it was a sonic grenade that blew him in half.

Alan then looked down, seeming defeated.

"I didn't, I couldn't remember how they had kept me alive during the operation. But when I woke and soon realized what had happened. I knew I would have been in a life debt for that. But then my father came in. Paid the whole debt off right there, if I resigned my position." Fay was shocked,

"Wait, you mean the head of Dokes Industries??" Alan nodded, "Remember when the company had to lay off during the so-called crash in the 2090's? Well, the only reason Dokes Industries was even affected was because of me..." Alan sighed.

Fay was silent for a second after that, thinking about how the G.L before he survived his career in the Union military.

"Damn, that's harsh. Did your father give you hell for that?" Alan nodded,

"Ohh yeah, though he clearly cared about his son more than the profit margins." He said, feeling a tear roll down his face.
"I'm surprised you're willing to be so open with me. I mean...you hardly even know me and yet you talk to me as if I was your best friend." Fay pointed out. Alan smiled, not even bothering to wipe his face.

"It's easier than you think, to open up to a stranger. But then again, why should I see you as a stranger? We are both here for the same reason. To catch the same criminal that has done you, myself and many others in the U.G.G wrong." Alan had made a good point. Fay agreed that they both had similar goals in mind, it was just the fact that they had such different roles and levels of power that made her surprised.

"Thank you sir. I hope we continue to elect people like you in the future. It seems to be more than rare these days." She explained.

As the conversations began to cease. The two just enjoyed the view as they passed another set of stars in the darkness of space. The relaxing music continued to fill the room. However, Alan was soon interrupted when his holo-watch received a message. After reading the message that was sent to him, he sighed.

"Well, I'm sorry that it was short. But I am requested at the bridge." He said, getting up. Fay smiled,

"Have fun sir." Alan chuckled before walking out the door,

"Stay safe Ms. Innes."