Part two - Chapter 12

Ayleen's POV

Sitting across from Mia felt like torture. Another week of back-to-back meetings and looming deadlines passed. My soul was growing weary, and I longed for a single moment of solitude. My mind wandered to my last encounter with Clara, a week ago. As our lips parted and she gave me a weak smile, I crumbled under the weight of my own pain. She brushed a tender kiss to my forehead before walking away. I stood there silently, for I knew I had been a heartless bitch and my regret was all-consuming.

"Why are you wasting your time here if you're too distracted to focus?" Mia sneered, her cold, steel blue eyes drilling into my soul. She slammed my notebook onto the desk with a thud. "Just give her a call and ask to see her" I shuddered under her intense glare, feeling a wave of anxiety wash over me.

"She should be the one calling me," I grumbled, trying to convince myself that I was in the right. I crossed my arms in front of my body, as though shielding myself against the accusatory stare of Mia. "I mean, I did try to apologize with a kiss, and look what happened. She just walked away." The words left a bitter taste in my mouth, a reminder of my own foolishness and the growing distance between Clara and myself.

Mia's eyes widened as I spoke, clearly in disbelief. Suddenly, she grabbed the cup from my desk and flung it to the ground, shattering it into pieces. I gasped in shock at the noise.

"Go ahead, try to kiss it better and make it whole again," she spat sarcastically, never breaking eye contact with me.

"Mia, what are you thinking? That cup doesn't represent Clara's heart, it represents mine," I exclaimed, slamming my hands down on the desk in frustration.

"Stop acting like a child, Ayleen. You're not the only one who's hurting here. Did you even bother to give her a chance to explain herself? Or are you just using her as a puppet whenever it suits you, pulling her close when you need her and then discarding her like trash when you're done?" Mia shot back, her anger escalating with each passing moment. It was hard for me to believe that my own friend could side with Clara over me.

"I think it's best if we stop this conversation right now before things get out of hand. And while we're at it, let's clean up this mess you made," I firmly stated as I walked away, leaving Mia alone in the office.

The rest of the day passed in a blur, Mia was giving me the cold shoulder and her words stung. Clara had been sending me flowers all week as she usually did, and now I regretted ignoring her. Maybe this was her way of keeping in contact.

My focus went back to the song that i was writing for Avery,  thinking that maybe the lyrics i wrote was a reflection of my own feelings for Clara

Verse 1:
Every moment feels like a waste
When you're not around
I'm just trying to keep the pace
But I feel like I'm bound

Chorus:
'Cause I'm not complete without you
My heart just beats for you
I need you to hold me tight
And never let me go tonight

Verse 2:
Days are like an endless sea
When you're not by my side
It's like a part of me
Is lost in the tide

Chorus:
'Cause I'm not complete without you
My heart just beats for you
I need you to hold me tight
And never let me go tonight

Bridge:
I've tried to live without your love
But it only left me cold
I need you here with me
To fill the space that I couldn't hold

Chorus:
'Cause I'm not complete without you
My heart just beats for you
I need you to hold me tight
And never let me go tonight