Part two - Chapter 8

Ayleen's POV

I lay in bed, gazing at the ceiling with my eyes heavy from fever. I glanced at the empty bed next to me and wondered how I ended up here. A few years earlier, I would have had a caring partner or loving family by my side to tend to me, but now, I had neither. My sexuality led to my family disowning me, and my ex-girlfriend broke my heart when she cheated on me.

I was consumed by loneliness and an aching emptiness that seemed to fill every inch of my being. At times, it seemed as if my eyes were depleted of tears, and yet they flowed down my face whenever I entertained the idea that my past could have been different. Trapped in my pain, I longed for a world where that hurtful past never happened.

I furiously wiped away the tears streaming down my face, as if angered by their very presence. Why did she have to do this? Why couldn't it all be different? Was my understanding of her really that wrong? All those moments of love and tenderness that I saw in her eyes, had they simply been tossed aside for nothing more than  desire? If she hadn't gotten together with Katherine, then what could it have been other than just lust?

I heard the doorbell ring and quickly shuffled out of bed, groggy and confused. Who could that be? I knew I had no one but Mia and George, but they were both occupied. Mia was out of town with her daughter Olivia, and George was holding down the studio while I was away. I stumbled on my own feet as I reached the door and opened it.

My heart sank at the sight of her standing there, looking like an angel dressed in a white hoodie and jeans, holding takeaway food and smiling at me with a warm and nervous smile. I felt tears welling up in my eyes, but at the same time a wave of relief came over me just by seeing her.

Her smile disappeared as she approached me with unease, and her hand came to rest on my cheek. She spoke something that I couldn't quite hear, and I leaned into her warm hand. In that moment, I allowed myself a moment of vulnerability to simply bask in her presence.

Swiftly, she kicked the door closed with her foot, and as she looked at me with concerned eyes, it seemed like she was silently asking me what was wrong. Her gaze spoke volumes. My fever left me confused, and I couldn't be sure if she was really there, or if my exhausted mind was simply wishing for the impossible.

"How?" I needed to be absolutely sure that she was there in flesh and blood.

"Mia gave me the address,"she replied, her hand leaving my cheek.

"Come in," I blurted out without giving a second thought, ignoring the fact that she was already inside the apartment.

"I brought you food from your favorite place, or at least it used to be your favorite place," she chuckled nervously while casting a quick glance around, trying to locate the kitchen.

"To your left," I guided her. She nodded and made her way inside. I watched as she placed the food down on the kitchen counter and began rummaging through my cabinets. After a few moments, she grabbed a plate and began to serve the food.

She gestured for me to come over, and my body moved automatically, obeying her command. I sat down in front of the plate she had prepared for me, and she leaned in, resting her lips on my forehead to check my fever.

"You're burning up, baby," she said, walking over to the cabinet again. She grabbed a cup, filled it with water, and went through the bags she'd brought. She gave me two pills and the cup of water.

"Take your medicine, eat your food, and get some rest," she said, grabbing her bag again and preparing to leave. Suddenly, my hand moved automatically and grabbed her forearm. She looked at me confused.

""Stay," I pleaded, feeling an overwhelming need for her presence. I didn't want to be alone, especially not today. For once, I was going to betray my brain and listen to my heart.