Part Two - Chapter 1

Clara's POV

"I just want to talk to her" I begged Serena unable to stop the tears flowing from my eyes.

"Listen, I don't know what happened between both of you and I am not interested, I told you, she came here two weeks ago but I couldn't let her move back in because her room is now for my future baby, all I know is that she moved to Boston and asked to be transferred to the university there, I don't have her number, now please get out of my house," Serena told me before she closed the door in my face.

I ran back to my car and started dialing George's number, even after two weeks, he was still not picking up, he must have believed I cheated too, who wouldn't? Even I had doubts that maybe I did.. No, I was unconscious, It was not me, for once, I did not betray.. this was my karma.

I jumped off the bed gasping for air, droplets of cold sweat falling down my body as my eyes searched frantically around me.

"Clara? That nightmare again?" My eyes snapped to my old bedroom door and I saw my mom entering the room with a glass of water before she sat by my side and she handed me the glass. Ever since my break up with Ayleen 5 years ago, Greenport is where I spent every weekend, I found comfort to be back home.

"I didn't have it for some time, I don't know why it came back now," I let out biting down on my lip fighting the tears from the pain in my heart, even 5 years later, the pain never subsided.

"It was not your fault," my mom said reassuringly as she squeezed my hand.

She was probably the only one that believed me, I would love to say that she believed me right away but I knew even she had her doubts, which soon disappeared after I spent every weekend crying my pain away in her arms. However, no matter how much I cried and how hard I screamed, Ayleen was no longer in my life and that was a fact.

Even when I woke up from nightmares like these, I still searched for her presence, but she was never here. I couldn't help but wonder which was worse, nightmares or the hell that became my reality. That bitter reality I am still not used to, every single morning waking up and hoping she would be here, next to me. In all of this, I was grateful for having at least one person believe me, it wasn't the case for everyone else. 

Marcus still worked for me, even though Ayleen cut him off completely and never answered his calls after she moved to Boston, he still looked at me with that smug smirk, as if he won in a way by proving him right by 'cheating'. I never bothered to explain what happened, I simply did not care if he knew the truth.

George never talked to me or Marcus, after their breakup he never picked up any of our calls, and the few times our paths crossed, he turned his head away pretending I did not exist. Was Ayleen still in touch with him? There was no way of knowing, he avoided me like a plague.

Serena was a whole other story, she basically kicked Ayleen out of the house after she returned to their apartment, maybe if she didn't, I could have seen Ayleen and gotten a chance to explain. I hated that girl beyond words could convey, the way she turned her back on her childhood friend disgusted me, she was probably the only person I hated more than myself at the moment. As for her love story, Edward ended up cheating on her 2 months after the birth of their baby and she had no choice but to move back to Utah with a newborn and no university degree, that was the last I heard about her.

"Clara?" I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard my mother call me, I took a deep breath and smiled weakly in an attempt to reassure her when I noticed the tears in her eyes. 

"I am alright, mom," I tried to sound convincing but I didn't even convince myself.

"It's been five years, I know you loved her but you can't wait around forever, you need to move on, maybe find someone." My body was instantly filled with disgust just from the idea of letting another woman in my life, I quickly shook my head in rejection.