Part two - Chapter 9

Ayleen's POV

As I lay in bed, restlessly tossing and turning, the emptiness of the house was suffocating. Yet her scent still hung in the air, a painful reminder of what I had lost. I couldn't shake the memory of Clara's vulnerable expression when I asked her about Katherine. It was more than just pain. I had never seen her so fragile before.

What was their conversation really about? And then there was Marcus, that snake. Did he truly want us apart so badly? After all, she was his cousin. How could he hate her that much?

I made an impulsive decision to call her during her lunch break. Maybe it was to avoid the loneliness of my own thoughts.

The weight of her betrayal still hung heavily on my heart, but I couldn't bear the idea of being alone today. I longed for the simpler times when she was my safety, and I could rest assured that she would take care of me, no matter what.

I hesitantly reached for my phone to ask her out for lunch. Despite everything, I couldn't bring myself to remove her number from my contacts or change the name that read "Love ❤️."

My heart was indecisive about dialing her number as I wondered if I was prepared for her to have my new contact. In the end, I decided against it and opted to contact her secretary, Sofia.

"Alcaraz Law Firm, this is Sofia speaking," she said through the line.

"Hey, can I talk to Clara?" I asked hesitantly.

"Miss Alcaraz is not available. Can I take a message?" she said nonchalantly.

"I'm Ayleen," I said after a moment of silence, knowing she wouldn't give me answers without knowing who I am. It made me wonder how many women call her office.

"Oh, Miss Hart! It's good to hear your voice. She left 10 minutes ago. She went on her lunch break with a friend." She added.

I As I thanked Sofia and hung up, my heart squeezed with pain. I couldn't believe I had thought about asking Clara out for lunch. After spending the night nursing me from my fever, she goes out to lunch with one of her bitches.

I groaned in frustration and decided to go out to lunch on my own. I dressed up and angrily opened my apartment door before stopping short when I almost crashed into someone.

"Angel, where do you think you're going when you're sick?" she asked, flashing me one of her breathtaking smiles, only making me more angry.

"What are you doing here?" I spat at her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude," she said nervously. "I just brought you lunch. You can take it and I'll go, or should I leave it here by the door?" She nervously looked around her, as if she was ready to run away.

"You don't need to bring me leftovers from your lunch with your so-called 'friend'," I said angrily, emphasizing the word 'friend' with sarcasm.

She looked at me with confusion, as if I spoke a different language. Her eyebrows furrowed as she struggled to understand me, which made me even angrier. "I called your office to ask you out for lunch, and Sofia told me you were out with a friend," I scoffed angrily. I wasn't sure what was making me so upset, but I refused to believe it was jealousy.

"Oh!" Her confused expression transformed into a joyful grin. "You called me out for lunch?" she exclaimed excitedly.

"Not anymore. I'm having lunch on my own, so please go back to your appointment," I crossed my arms defensively.

I watched as she rummaged through the bag she had brought and took out two wrapped sandwiches.

"You are my appointment. I was hoping you would allow me to have lunch with you," she said shyly.