Part two - Chapter 4

Ayleen's POV

"I don't understand why you're going out with her," Mia said, helping me choose between two dresses.

"Why do you say that?" I tossed one of the dresses on my bed and put on the one she picked.

"You weren't interested in her until you bumped into 'You Know Who' a couple of days ago," she said, looking through my makeup drawer.

"She's not Voldemort-level terrible, but I see what you mean," I scoffed, struggling to adjust the strap of my dress.

"I just worry that you're using her as an unhealthy coping mechanism," she came over and helped me secure the strap around my neck.

"Look, I'm an adult who's going out with another adult," I said, fixing my dress in the mirror and turning to see Mia clearly disapproving.

"I know that she hurt you and I can see that you're still struggling with that pain because your behavior is off," she said, crossing her arms.

"I am over Clara!" I snapped back.

"I'm not saying that you're not over her, but you're not over the pain, whether it be the pain of losing her or the pain of what she caused you," she said, walking over to me and resting her hand on my shoulder. "Talk to her, Ayleen. You need closure," she added.

"What I need is to leave because Avery is waiting," I quickly pecked her cheek and left the room. I was not prepared to talk about it yet.

I walked into the building already regretting that I had accepted the invitation. I hated social gatherings and I really did not want to open the door again for Avery. What was the point? I had walked down this path before and failed to follow it through. Not just with Avery, but my ability to trust and let people in was long gone.

Avery had wanted to pick me up, but I insisted on meeting her here. I wanted it to seem like less of a date, but I knew she shared different views on how the evening would go.

I saw her standing near the bar with a few faces I recognized from the music industry. This night was going to be a long one. I put on my best smile and made my way through the crowds, tapping her shoulder. She turned around and greeted me with a kiss on my cheek.

"Hey stranger, I was almost giving up hope." She kept her hand on the small of my back, leaving me slightly uncomfortable, but I chose to push it aside and try to enjoy my night.

"Sorry, I had to finish some work in the studio," I stated, knowing it was true, but also sensing that she was expecting more of an explanation.

"You did not miss anything, they will start the event in a few minutes," Avery replied, her grip still holding onto my back.

"Oh, great," I said as I headed towards the bar, hoping that some liquid courage would help me get through the night.

The event was held for a good cause, where rich people would sell their things and donate the money. Though I have more money now, I'm not as rich as everyone else there, especially since I used most of my savings to open my new studio. So, I didn't have anything to sell and I didn't plan on buying anything either.

As I waited for my drink at the bar, I watched Avery pose for a few photographs. She was a natural in the spotlight, and I couldn't help wondering how she managed to keep smiling all the time.

I heard someone say my name, and as I turned my head, I saw that familiar face that I didn't want to see again. "Marcus," I gritted my teeth, wishing I never had to see him again.

"Hey, I almost didn't recognize you," he said as he pulled me into an unexpected hug that I couldn't wait to squirm out of.

"I wish you didn't," I muttered under my breath, not caring whether he heard me or not.