Part two - Chapter 6

Ayleen's POV

"Throw it away," I said when I saw Mia standing by the door of my office holding another bouquet of white lilies.

"Ayleen, she's been sending you flowers every day since that party. This is the 10th bouquet you have me throwing away, and they are so pretty!" Mia protested while stomping her foot on the floor.

"Are you really throwing a tantrum over flowers?" I gave her a puzzled look and received a blank stare. There was no doubt that the flowers were gorgeous, and maybe somewhere in my heart, I was content that she was sending them daily. It made me feel like I was occupying her mind.

"Knowing Clara, she is probably upset that she's getting ignored. It is something she is not used to. She doesn't really want me as a person. She just hates rejection," I added, analyzing the situation.

"I still think you should talk to her, hear what she's got to say. She's been trying to get your attention for a while, and let's not forget she is helping us with the case," Mia said as she set the bouquet on my desk.

I watched as she took the card that came with the flowers and read it. Her lips curled into a little smile before she masked it with a cough and put the card in her pocket.

"Well? What does it say?" I asked curiously, tapping my finger on my desk.

"Why do you care? Weren't you going to throw it away?" She teased me, and after a few seconds of thinking if I should follow my curiosity and ask again or continue playing it cool, I decided to go with the latter.

"I do not care. I was just making conversation," I said, shrugging and relaxing back in my chair.

"Of course, you don't care, you big baby. Let's go. We need to do a quick sound check before Avery arrives," she said, pulling my hand, causing me to groan.

"Go. I am right behind you," I dismissed her with a wave of my hand and watched as she walked out of the door, closing it behind her.

I rested my cheek on the palm of my hand and touched the beautiful flowers that were sitting carefully on my desk. They used to anger me when I received them, but now I wondered when they would arrive. She was successfully getting me hooked on her poison again.

Standing up, I grabbed the flowers and threw them away in the trash. I took a deep breath and followed Mia to the studio after stopping to take one last look at the pretty flowers that were no longer carefully placed together.

I took my seat in front of my piano and waited for Mia to give me the signal to start. I closed my eyes and ran my hand on the keys of the piano.

"Ayleen," I heard Mia's voice through the headphones, bringing me back to reality.

"What happened?" I asked her through the mic, and I saw her put an envelope on the glass.

Clara's POV

I walked confidently through the courtroom halls, my heels providing a sense of empowerment. It seemed that the sound of a woman's heel had a spellbinding effect on those around her, making them stop and look without fail.

No matter if you were the most powerful judge in the room or an accused criminal waiting for your verdict, once a woman's heel struck the ground, all eyes were drawn to her. And I knew how to use this to my advantage. I never looked back, remaining steadfast in my mission to reach the courtroom. However, this time, my heart felt heavy - it was Katherine's courtroom today.

Katherine had tried to talk to me several times since the incident, but I didn't give her the time of day. We had a deal: she dropped the case against Ricardo, and I tried to keep a professional relationship with her. I had made the agreement for Ayleen's safety, as I feared that Ricardo might hurt her if she moved away from the protection we had assigned to her. I wished I could destroy Katherine for what she had done to my life with Ayleen, but I had made a choice back then, and it still lingered with me.