Chapter 19

Clara's POV

Walking into the kitchen, after a tiring night, I hated that I had those dreams with Ayleen sleeping by my side. Preparing a quick cup of coffee to help myself wake up I laid down on the couch and waited for others to join. 

"Goodmorning, why are you up so early?" I heard my mother's voice.

"Nightmares.." I answered wearily, my forearm covering my eyes from the annoying sun rays creeping from the window.

"The same ones?" she asked with a sigh. 

"Always the same one, after all these years, I can't get over the moment she left me," I spoke through gritted teeth.

"I hope it's the moment that hurt your ego and not the girl," my mom spoke more to herself than toward me. 

"What do you mean?" I asked genuinely confused.

"I mean I hope you got over the girl and your dreams are only because you have an inflated ego and can't get over the fact that you were dumped," she added a bit harshly. 

"Wow, this is really uncalled for, mom! You know it was not the fact that she left me, it's because of why she left me," I defended wanting for her to understand. 

"It's curious that the first relationship you get into after is with Ayleen," she added fuel to the fire that was building between us.

"Seriously?" I asked in disbelief.

"She left you because you were poor and not from her social circle and then Ayleen.." I raised my finger demanding that she stops talking.

"I am not projecting my trauma on Ayleen," I admonished. 

My heart broke a little at the fact my own mother would think so lowly of me, but yet again, a mother knows her daughter the best.. am I a monster? 

"Clara, I am sorry. I just like Ayleen and I can see she is really growing attached to you."

"Yes! Yes!! We had this conversation over and over, can everyone just cut me some slack?! All of this pressure is suffocating me, if you don't believe I can change,  how am I supposed to do this?" My voice broke, holding back tears that I didn't shed for years.

I laid back on the couch and put a pillow on my face, ending this conversation before it went too far. After a few minutes, I felt a hand on my forearm.

"What?" I mumbled. 

"Hey baby, are you sleeping on the couch? Was I snoring or something?" Her voice was sad. 

I removed the pillow from my face to see anxious Ayleen standing by my side, nervously playing with her fingers.

"Oh good morning Angel, no of course not! I am already awake, I made coffee and I was blocking the sun from blinding my eyes," I told her with a reassuring smile before I moved my head so she could sit down on the couch. She did exactly that and I immediately rested my head on her lap. 

"That's the best lap, I ever laid on." I smiled at her as she looked down at me and kissed my forehead

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that because you used to love sitting on my lap," my mother added.

"Both are good ones," I answered trying to lift the tension in the air.

"Yea of course."

"Jealous," I mumbled.

"Okay ladies, don't fight, I am fine with being the best second lap," Ayleen said making my heart calmer, her voice was grounding.

"No, you can have her.. she already gave me heart attacks many times, from parachute jumping to extreme partying. I am done worrying, she is your problem now," my mother raised her hands in the air as a gesture of surrender.