Chapter 40

Holland POV

Trust is a funny thing. I'd given my heart so easily to Jeremy, our love being what others strived for, only ending with lie after lie, question marks being left unanswered for all of eternity. I'd decided not to trust people so easily, keep them at arms length if I could help it. Apparently where this burly man I'm wrapped up in is concerned, I've chunked that mindset right out of the window.

Every little tease of his lips against my nose, my forehead, my neck has me longing for more. Do I care that his fiancée is sitting just on the other side of this wall? I know that I should, but I can't find it anywhere right now because his Ari's lips are finally on mine and all I want is to swallow every bit of passion this man is willing to trust me with.

I don't want this moment to end, knowing that when it does there will be conversations that must take place, and hearts left broken. But here, right now, if only for the next few seconds, I know that it won't be my heart this time. Although that could all change as soon as our lips separate from one another.

The one and only thing that could break me apart from this man's hold seems to happen, causing me to pull away abruptly, my hands going to the swell of my stomach while my lips part in pain and fear.

"What is it?"

If the slight trickle I feel going down my leg is what I think it is, there's only one thing I need to do. "I need to get to the hospital. Now."

Ari jumps into action, taking my hand in his as he walks me to a bench that is closer to the front of the hotel. "I'm gonna go grab your bag. Are your keys in it?" I give a quick nod. "We'll take your car."

From my spot I can see into the ballroom, seeing a handful of couples dancing while others mingle and talk over the dessert trays being passed around by waiters in full black uniform. A man's body shifts and I see Ari speaking to Lissy on the dancefloor, my bag in his hands. He slips his hand in his pant's pocket, pulling out what I assume to be the valet ticket. Her eyes shift towards me as Ari uses his head to motion out the wooden double doors where I sit. He begins to make his way back to me, looking angry, leaving Lissy in the middle of the dance floor, but then I see her turn right back to who she was dancing with, Blain.

Ari's jaw is clenched, similar to earlier in the night, as he stalks through the room and back to me.  His hands immediately coming out to help me stand, one of them coming to my waist once I do. "I'm not having trouble walking, Levy. I just need to get to the hospital."

 "Don't argue with me. If I want my hands on you, that's exactly where they'll be right now," he retorts, his tone stern and commanding.

  I let him help me even though it is not necessary. "Where did you park?"

  "Across the street, a block down," I tell him, noticing the way he grunts in frustration. "Sorry I didn't use the valet. I didn't know I was going to be a little more financially stable after tonight."

  "I couldn't tell you. I mean, I could, but I didn't want to miss the shock on your face," he replies, guiding me across the street, still keeping his tight hold on me. "This isn't gonna work for me."

  My  head jerks up, wondering what on earth he's talking about. I  never get the question out of my mouth, his body squatting down and lifting me as though he does it every day. "Ari, I can walk!" I cry, feeling incredibly awkward being carried down the busy Boston street. 

  "You said you need to get to the hospital. You're lucky I didn't call an ambulance."

  "So, anytime I try and argue with you tonight-"

  "Will be completely pointless, beautiful." He grins at me, even though I can see something behind his eyes, regret maybe. I choose to ignore it for now, digging through my small clutch for my keys as he steps foot into the parking lot. 

  He sets me down, grabbing my key and opening my door for me. "I need something out of the back."

  "No, you need to get your tail in that seat."

  I roll my eyes, stepping around him to open the back door, pulling out a towel from the floorboard. "I thought you were having contractions. Did your water break?" he asks distraught.

  "Not completely," I admit, tucking my chin down and sliding past him into the front seat.

  "Holland!"

  "Do not start with me, Ari! This is my realm of expertise, remember? If I can't argue with you, then you can't argue with me," I warn him, challenging him. "Don't make me change her name."

  His eyes narrow, slamming my door next to me. I see his lips moving as he rounds the front of the car, his voice picking up once he opens his door. "Trying to use my little girl against me to get what you want. Who do you think you are anyway?" he teases me, biting back his own smile. 

  "The woman with the ability to turn the great Ari Levinson into a puddle," I remind him. "However, I'm afraid I'll be the one sitting in a puddle if we don't get to the hospital."

  That throws him in gear again, the car peeling out of the lot in such a rush that I glare at him. "I'll get you new tires," he says without me saying a word.

   We're only about fifteen blocks from the hospital, with just enough traffic to get caught by five lights along the way. I text Joy, giving her a heads up that I'm on my way in, but I don't have my badge. She answers letting me know that she'll be standing at the door ready to receive me. 

  Ari's got the blinker on to turn towards the ambulance bay. "No! You go and park this car, Levy. I'm not going through the emergency room." He ignores me, as if I thought he'd listen in the first place. "You realize you're gonna have to just drop me off and I'll be going up alone, right?"

  Another moment of being ignored as he tosses the car in park, engine running. As he's coming around to help me out of the car he spots the pale pink scrubs of one of my coworkers. "Excuse me! I don't remember your name, but can you go park that in Holland's spot and then bring the keys up to L & D?" He doesn't even wait for a response, throwing the keys at the unsuspecting woman. "Great, thanks!"

  "Ari!" I scold him.

  Once more there's a hand around my waist, another gripping my free hand. "You know, I much preferred the way you sighed my name earlier. Think we can get a little more of that instead?"