Chapter 39

"GHOST! HANG IN THERE! GET A MEDIC QUICK!" Price's voice was fading away alongside Ghost's consciousness. He could feel someone taking his mask off, but he couldn't move. His body had finally reached its limit. All he could think about was the rest of the team he left behind in that universe involuntarily.
.
.
.
"It's been more than 20 minutes... Where are they?" you mumbled to yourself as you sat in the capsule's room, waiting for Soap and the others. You wanted to leave and go check on them so badly, but you were afraid that someone would come and destroy this room if you give them the chance.

No voices were coming from outside, no gunshots, and no explosions. Surely they weren't caught up in a fight, right? You had checked the corridor a hundred times in the past ten minutes but there was still no sign of them.

"Oh my GOD! WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG!" you only received silence in return, the only audible thing was the sound of the generator and the electricity. You looked in the corridor again, eyes glued to the staircase door. There was not a shadow of a movement in the area. You let out a sigh, finally deciding to go check the floor they were in real quick. You could just lock the door and hope they don't destroy it before you come back.

The sound stopped, engulfing the entire building in darkness and silence as the electricity was cut off. Dim emergency lights turned on, barely lighting up the corridor. You could hear your own heartbeat with how quiet it was. There was no one else on this floor besides you, that much was clear.

You looked back at the room before locking it, finally deciding to go look for your friends. There was no way they would take this long just to bring an unconscious Ross, something definitely happened, and you needed to find out what it was and turn the power back on. The capsule wouldn't work otherwise.

You walked slowly, minding your steps with how dark it was. You didn't want to accidentally trigger a bomb and kill yourself in the process. While the staircase was clear, you didn't know if the other areas were clear as well.

You kept a hand on the wall as you walked to the staircase while keeping an ear out for any noise that wasn't coming from you.

All the way up to the floor, there was not a single soul, not a single trap, not a single noise. You could feel your heart pick up its pace as you reached the floor. There was a clanking sound coming from the other side of the floor, from the area Soap and Layla headed to.

You wanted to call out to them, but held yourself back worrying that maybe they were surrounded by enemies.

The clanking sound was steady and unchanging. It didn't get weaker, but it didn't get stronger either. It was just there, hitting the same spot with the same power in steady beats. As if it was calculated by a robot or something.

Maybe because it was dark, but you couldn't help but feel horrified. Not knowing what you are about to face, what will appear in the middle of the dimly lit corridor.

You felt afraid enough to consider turning back and continue waiting for them in that room. You could feel your hands and knees shaking as you took one step after the other toward the room where you left Ross in. The sound was getting closer now, but it was coming from all around you even when nothing was moving.

Slow steps...
Quiet steps...
We will be fine... Just keep on moving.

The closer you got to the room, the more apparent it was that the sound was coming from the inside. Blood was seeping through the door, and the smell was overwhelming.

Your breath was shallow as you placed your shaky hand on the knob, terrified of what could possibly be behind the door. It took all your willpower to force yourself to turn the knob and open the door, making a very loud creaking noise that echoed in the corridor as you pushed the door open.

The clanking sound stopped, and you could see a dark, tall figure standing in the middle of the room, an iron bar in hand. Your eyes went to his feet where an unrecognizable body lay on the floor. You couldn't see who it was with how dark it was inside the room, but you could see the figure slowly turning around to face you.

And before you could process what happened, you found yourself on the floor a few feet behind where you were standing. Someone was behind you, their hands on your shoulders and you figured they were the one who pulled you back.

The figure was now standing on the doorstep, the iron rod was smashed against the wall, leaving a huge scratch on it.