Chapter 20

"Holy shit..." you breathed out as Soap gave you a goofy smile, and you felt the heat accumulate at the corner of your eyes.

"Aww are you that happy to see me?" he cooed as he continued to walk toward Noah and the others. Ross was nowhere to be seen and Emma was laying on the ground passed out.
It seemed like only Soap managed to teleport because there was no one else from TF141.

"I actually am. I'm so glad to see you, but h-how? I thought it wouldn't work unless I go back to the lab," your voice was hoarse as you spoke, having breathed in too much smoke made it painful to even speak but you didn't care. It was fucking Soap.

"Eh, I'm not sure. But I was holding your phone during the phone call and after it ended, I passed out and woke up here. Trouble is always on your ass it seems," he snickered.

"What can I say? I love me some action," you joked back and grinned before nodding your head at your friends. The atmosphere surrounding them was thick and you could tell something was wrong.

"Where is Ross? And what happened to the three idiots?" you coughed as you finally reached the little group

"(Y/N)! I'm so glad you found a way out," Layla ran toward you and locked you in a tight hug as she sobbed.

"Yeah..." you hugged her back before looking at Noah, who quickly looked at the ground.

"Where's Ross?" you asked again as you put your hands on Layla's shoulder and pushed her away to look at her face. She looked to the side, her eyes getting teary as she tried to speak.

"He... I don't know. He left earlier to look for the guys he was talking about," why did it feel like she was lying? Were you being paranoid? But Ross would never leave them behind...

"That's a lie. He would never leave anyone behind, what's going on?" you took a step back from Layla as you demanded an answer, but she didn't say anything. It didn't seem like she was going to say anything at all.

"We don't know. We really don't. He said he needed some air and then soon after the building was on fire. We couldn't find him anywhere, and he still isn't around. So we assumed he went to look for the people he was talking about," Noah finally spoke up, keeping his eyes on the ground the entire time. He was stiff the entire time, and his tone was low.

"What's the situation?" Soap finally spoke up, and the two looked at him in surprise before looking back at you. Realization washed over their faces when their memories started to work out who it was.

"HOLY SHIT! SOAP??? SOAP MACTAVISH??????" Noah exclaimed, his eyes becoming the size of saucers as he looked at Soap standing in all his glory. And you could see Soap buffing himself slightly, probably proud at the fact he was this popular.

"Ooooooh my God. Wait, wait wait wait. DOES THAT MEAN WE WON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE LAB TO GO BACK??" Layla was just as loud as Noah now. You looked at Soap, waiting for an answer as well.

"Sorry to disappoint, but I think we still have to go to the lab. Anyways, fill me in," he said the last bit to you as he turned to face you, and you compiled. Telling him all the details of everything that happened up to that very moment.
.
.
.
"..."

"Aren't you going to say anything?" you looked at the man as he stood there in unusual silence.

"I'm trying to understand the concept..." he scratched his face as he continued to ponder over what you said, and you let out a sigh before bringing your attention back to Noah and Layla.

"So what happened? Why was the building on fire? And where are the three idiots? Did they escape or...?" you sat down between the two of them facing Emma who was still knocked out cold.

"Or... They tried to attack Emma after you went to rest, and in a moment of panic, she pressed on the detonator, which caused the fire," Noah explained as he looked down at Emma, his hand gently brushing over hers.

"I'm sorry, if only I was there, we could have still had our only lead..." his hand squeezed hers as he spoke, and you looked at him from the side for a moment. He let his hair cover his eyes as he spoke, so you couldn't really tell what kind of expression he was wearing right now, but it seemed like he felt guilty.

"They would have still attacked you anyways. Don't let it eat you up, we can't change the past," you patted his shoulder before going back to where Soap was.

"Do you think if I call again, the others will come?" you asked, genuinely missing the rest of the team.

"Trying is always an option. Go try," he shrugged before looking at your friends.
"I'll stay here and watch over your friends. You go call lover boy and see if you can bring him here too," he patted your back before going over to your friends.

And that's what you tried to do before you ran into Ross. But it wasn't a happy kind of reunion, considering the fact that he had a gun aimed at his skull and his hands up in the air. There was blood running down his face, and his eyes slightly widened when he caught sight of you, subtly shaking his head to tell you to run away and take the others to safety.

But you would be damned if you ran away and let him die after all the times he saved your ass before. It's time for payback.