Chapter 21

You took a deep breath before scanning your surroundings. There were 4 resident buildings surrounding the area, with windows facing the scene. But there was a huge chance that they were apartment windows so you won't be able to use them to your advantage.

You looked up at the roof, but quickly ditched that idea when you saw how thick the snow was. Not to mention that your gun would definitely miss and you would end up putting Ross in more danger instead.

"Blow up one of the cars? No, too dangerous and I don't have the resources... Come on brain, figure it out!" you muttered to yourself as you closed your eyes tightly and rubbed your temple with your cold fist.

There were 5 guys surrounding Ross. 2 behind him and 3 in front of him. Your eyes trailed back to the windows again, and you looked at Ross who was glaring at the guy standing in front of him. He didn't seem to have his weapon, but even then, he would be able to take at least 2 of them.

You looked at the window again and grabbed a glass from the ground before swinging it at one of the windows as hard as you could. The window broke, and everyone's attention was directed at it and the screaming coming from inside.

A drunk, enraged man peeked his head through the window, his bloodshot eyes glaring daggers at the men.

"Ya fuckin' cunts..." he put one of his hands on the broken window frame, cutting his hand in the process as he got out. His other hand held a shotgun he quickly aimed it at one of the guys and pulled the trigger. 

Ross took advantage of the commotion and slipped away using the alley behind him, leaving the Crestfall soldiers to deal with the angry drunk man.

"SIR CALM DOWN OR WE WILL HAVE TO USE LETHAL FOR-"

"YA THREATENIN' ME? YA LIL' FAWK. IM GONNA KILL YA SHITS! THAT WINDOW COSTED ME MORE THAN WHAT IT COSTED FOR YOUR MOTHER TO SHIT YOU OUT!" you put a hand over your mouth as you tried to hold back the wheeze while waiting for Ross to come around and reach you.

"Go drunk man!" you did a little cheering in your head as he tried to shoot one of the soldiers again. All five of them were cowering behind the cars, screaming at each other to shoot the man.

One thing was clear. Their weapons were for show. All of them were empty, and you wondered if they were empty from the beginning or if it was because of Ross.

Ross made his way to you shortly after that, muttering a small thank you before looking back at where he was. The drunk man was still in his berserk mode.

"It's better if we leave before he sees us. We ain't wearing armor plates like those crying idiots. C'mon, let's go," he kept his head down until you reached a tall wall that covered you, and you walked for some time before you stopped Ross.

"Why did you let them catch you?" you noticed his shoulders stiffen once he heard your question.

"I didn't," he replied shortly, and you scoffed at his answer.

"We both know that's a lie. What happened between you and Layla?" He slowly turned to face you, before letting out a long sigh.

"I fucked up. I wasn't thinking clearly and I ended up telling her the truth that our universe ended. I wanted to... Convince her that there was no going back. That these people are our last chance. And since you asked what happened, I'm certain you noticed the shift in her actions now. I don't know if she told Noah and Emma yet," he paused for a moment, laughing ironically to himself.

"Our last chance turned out to be a scam." he groaned as he put his hand over his mouth.

"They were the people sending you letters????????" you exclaimed before quickly ducking your head when you noticed that passerbys were staring at you weirdly.

"You guessed right. So... Let's just go back and meet up with the rest, yeah?" his shoulders slouched(?) down and he wore a tired, defeated expression.

"Ross... What about plan B? It's kind of working..." he stopped in his tracks and pondered over your statement for a bit.

"What do you mean? Our universe is dead. There is no going back," he looked back confused.

"Not to our universe," you grinned. "To COD's universe. I- I don't know how but one of the characters managed to get here. There is definitely a way for us to leave this place,"

"Got here? How? Wait, no. Let's go I wanna meet them," he didn't even wait for you as he ran back to where the team was.
.
.
.
"WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED HERE??" Ross snapped once you made it back, the reason being... You forgot to tell him about the fire.

"Oh," you sheepishly scratched the back of your head. "I forgot to tell you we got roasted. But we are fine don't worry. Everyone's fine... I think," you muttered the last bit to yourself as you remembered Emma.

"You are back? How did it go? Did you call him?" Soap appeared from behind you and placed a hand on your shoulder as he looked at Ross suspiciously.

"No... We had a bit of a situation, so... I'll try again after we are clear. They are on the lookout for us now. Anyways, meet Ross. He's the one who got us out," you introduced Ross to Soap. Not having to do the opposite to Ross since he already knew Soap.

His face was priceless, after all.