Ch.19-What Is A Heart?

Takuya

The Hibiki Household

I opened my eyes and woke up. I looked around my room and saw how everything was organized and clean.

I sat up, then suddenly, memories flooded into my mind. I remembered how I turned into a kaiju, how I destroyed everything, and how I killed many people with my own hands.

I looked at my shaking hands and I was terrified. "I...killed..."

The door opened and I looked to see Rin. "Nii-san..."

"Rin..."

"Nii-san! You're-" She stared at me. "Nii-san?"

I stared at her and I frowned. "What did I do...?" I covered my face with my hands. "How many...did I kill...?"

"Nii-san..."

Izumi

The Hibiki Household

We got a call from Rin saying that Taku was awake. We all were happy, but told us to come to their house as soon as possible. We sensed something was wrong and we arrived quickly.

I knocked on their door and it opened. "Hey Rin."

She frowned. "Come inside..."

We looked at each other, then went inside.

We sat on the living room couch and she stared at us.

"Rin, did something happen?" Haruto asked.

She nodded. "Nii-san..."

"Taku! Is he-"

"He's alright. I guess..."

"You...guess...?"

"What's wrong?" Keide asked.

"It's better for you to look."

I opened the door and saw Taku sitting on the bed, staring at the ground.

"Taku!" I went towards him and saw something was indeed wrong. "Are you..."

"Izumi...what...did I do...?"

"Taku..."

He placed his hands over his face. "Tell me...that I didn't kill anyone. Tell me that I didn't destroy anything..."

"Taku..."

"Tell me I didn't do it..."

We all looked at each other, then back at him. "Takuya, gomen, but-"

He looked at us with his eyes. "I killed them...didn't I? I killed them, all of them. After I...became a kaiju..."

We all frowned. "That's..."

"I'm a monster..." He looked at his hands. "It's all my fault..."

"No, it's not!"

He frowned. "I was the kaiju...I killed-"

"Baka!"

"Izumi..."

"I understand why you feel bad about it, and I understand how much pain you're in, but you can't keep blaming yourself!"

He frowned even more. "How can I not blame myself...? I killed them..." He clenched his fists. "It's all my fault..."

"Taku..."

The computer turned on. "You're wrong, Takuya."

"Grid..."

"It's not your fault that they died, and it's not your fault that you failed to save them. It was because of the circumstances that we were unable to do anything."