Ch.3-What Is My Purpose For Fighting?

Haruto

The Asanaka Household

After the battle from yesterday, I started to feel a little sick. My mother checked my temperature and told me that it was high; she recommended that I stay home.

"So I have to stay?" I asked my mother.

She nodded. "You're pretty warm and you've been coughing."

I coughed and sighed. "Yeah...I guess you're right."

"Hey Haruto, you'll be okay, right?" Izumi asked.

I nodded. "I'll be fine. You guys can go."

"Get better, Haruto." said Akito.

I nodded, then they left. "Do you need me to stay?" my mother asked.

"No, I'll be fine. I can take care of myself."

She stared at me, then she sighed. "Alright then, I'll be leaving now. Call me or your dad if you need something." I nodded and she left.

I coughed again and I grabbed a tissue to blow out my nose. "Why am I even sick...?" I threw it away in the trash and I snuggled in my blankets. I hope I won't be needed today..."

The door opens and I look to see Rin. "Hey, Haruto."

I sat up. "Rin...? What're you doing here?"

"Izumi told us that you were sick. I thought I should give you something." She placed a bag of snacks and medicine on my desk.

"Oh...arigatou..." I coughed again and I moved my arm to cover my mouth.

"Are you alright?"

I gave her a weak smile. "Yeah...I'll be fine."

She stared at me, then came closer. "Hey, Haruto."

I blushed a little. "W-What is it...?"

"I never got to say this, but...arigatou."

"For what...?"

"For saving my brother. And for fighting. Hontou ni arigatou." She bowed and thanked me.

"I just did what I had to. Anybody, even my sister and brother, would do the same."

She looked up and smiled. "I see. Anyways, I'll see you tomorrow!"

"R-Right..." She waved and left. I sighed and laid back on the bed, exhausted. I didn't think that she would come to see me. I smiled. Well...I guess one good thing happened today.

Izumi

New Tsutsujidai High School

We arrived at the high school and went to our class. I sat at my desk and took my notebooks out to look at them.

"So this is where I need to revise?"

"Yeah. Fix that and you should be good."

I turned to see Taku and Sachi talking together about their class. While I watched them, I slowly began to feel uneasy. I turned to look at the city outside the window.

I hope Haruto will get better soon. All of us will need to be ready to fight the next kaiju.

I turned to look back at them. Taku...will you really keep fighting until it costs your life? The more you do, you will... I shook my head and looked forward to the board. No, don't even think about that. Taku...he'll be fine. And if he's not, I'll be there.

Keide

Fujiyokidai College

I sat in my college class and I yawned. Today was a very boring and tiring day; we all sat in class, listening to the teacher speaking and writing on the board. College was mostly tiring and boring, but today was too much.