Ch.18.18

Izumi

The Hibiki Household

I entered Taku's room and saw that he was still sleeping in his bed. After we saved him, he was really tired and slept for about an entire day.

I sat down on a chair and placed a new towel on his forehead. I stared at him while he was sleeping; he was still breathing which made me relieved.

You're finally back...Taku. I smiled. I'm so glad that you're back.

I laid my head on his chest and could hear his heartbeat; it was going at a steady pace, but I still felt as if there was something wrong about it,

Taku, I wonder how you're feeling right now. He took a breath. You must've been in so much pain for all these years. You must've been calling out to us all this time, but we just couldn't hear it. A tear came from my eye. Why didn't I see it? I'm such a horrible friend...

The computer turned on. "Yo"

I jumped up. "Grid!"

"Oh, gomen. I didn't mean to startle you."

I sighed. "No, it's fine."

"Is he doing better?"

"Yeah, a little. Still asleep though."

"I see."

"Hey Grid, um...are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm still recovering a little, but I'll be alright."

"That's good." I looked back at Taku. "Hey Grid."

"Hm?"

"Is it alright...if he stops fighting for a bit? I don't want him to wake up just to fight again."

"That all depends on you."

"On me?"

He nodded. "Takuya and I have been fighting for a long time. From now on, Takuya needs someone to be his shield."

"His shield..." I repeated.

"I understand Takuya's determination to protect you and everyone else, but even I know that he's reckless."

I chuckled. "That would mean that you're reckless too, right?"

"I suppose so."

I grabbed Taku's hand. "A shield..." I frowned. "As much as I want to protect him, I don't think I'll be a good shield at all."

"Why do you say that?"

"I'm part of the Dynazenon crew, but...it almost seems like we've been doing nothing at all. It was mostly you and Taku who did the fighting, while...we watched you get hurt."

"That's not true."

"Eh?"

"You, all of you, did plenty enough to help us. Even if it wasn't much, we're still here today thanks to you."

"Grid..."

"I'm sure Takuya would say the same. No, I'm sure he would say something much more meaningful."

I smiled. "You're right about that."

"So, will you become his shield?"

I stared at Grid and thought about it. His shield... I looked at Taku and held his hand even tighter. "No."

"Hm?"

"I can't be the only one to be his shield." I smiled. "My brothers, Rin, Keiko, Keide, and everyone else; we'll all be his shield."

He smiled. "A beautiful answer, Izumi."

"Arigatou, Grid."

"Aagh..."

"Taku!"

He groans, then breathes normally again.

I stared at him. "Nevermind..."

"Be patient, Izumi. He'll wake up."

"Right. Oh, Grid."

"Hm?"

"Um...is Frosdrakkon...gone...?"

He stared at me, then shook his head. "He's still within Takuya, but he won't be able to do anything."

"I see..."

"No matter. As long as you're there, you can keep Takuya from becoming a kaiju again."

"Me?"

He nodded. "Your love for him has been making him stronger; I can feel it."

I blushed. "I-I'm not sure about that..."

He chuckled. "Well, I just wanted to check on him. Later." The computer turns off and he disappears.

I looked back at Taku. "My love..." I blushed and shook my head. "Taku, I hope you wake up soon."

The door opened. "Hi~"

"Oh, Rin."

She comes and stands next to me. "Still asleep huh?"

"Yeah."

She sighed. "Why won't Nii-san wake up...?"

"Be patient, Rin."

"Hmm...."

"So, did you need something?"

"Oh, right." She grabs a bag and places it down. "You've been here a long time, so I brought some snacks for you. And...for Nii-san, whenever he wakes up."

I chuckled. "Arigatou."

"No problem!"

I looked back at Taku. "He's really lucky to have a sibling like you." I sighed. "Haruto and Akito are so tiring to take care of."

She chuckled. "Yeah, I can see that."

"Hey Rin, did Haruto say anything to you?"

"No. Was he supposed to?"

I sighed. "My little brother..."

"Anyways, I'll go now." She headed towards the door. "Oh, um, Izumi?"

"Hm?"

"Are you sleeping over?"

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, I don't know if you've been looking at the time, but...it's getting close to midnight."

"What?!" I looked outside the window and saw the bright moon in the dark sky. "Shimatta~..."

"So...are you staying~...?"

I sighed and looked back at Taku. I'm just going to come back in the morning, but...

"Izumi?"

"Well...since I'm here and all...I guess I'll sleep over."

"Yay! Now, let's see...you could sleep in the living room or in my room or..."

"The living room's alright. Arigatou, Rin."

"Alright then! Bye-bye!" She left and close the door.

I sighed. "Why didn't I look at the time...?" I stared at Taku. "Baka."