7.2

The survivors kept following the convenient trail in the middle of the forest after being told by the signs that it was a shortcut. 

Eventually it led them to a wildlife park, where they turned up on a row of planks being held by thick ropes, hanging between two beyond mile-high cliffs leading to a river beneath.

“Look, a rope bridge,” Dwain uttered, “And a pretty damn long one.”

The mature man was astounded as he gawked at the lengthy and seemingly dodgy bridge.

Brenan laid eyes on the signage nearby and read what was written on it out loud.

"The Genesis Passway"

“Genesis, huh?” Jess stepped forward and shook the bridge using her foot.

The bridge was somewhat wobbly, and the planks seemed old too. But it's sturdy and passable, only it will take guts to attempt a cross.

“One wrong move, we'll be jumping straight to Revelation.” The priestess remarked.

Daeshim looked down. Shivers ran down his spine upon seeing the height of the cliffs the infirm passageway is bordering between. 

“Is there no other way around that's more… Let's say, "safe"?” Daeshim wondered.

Dwain shunts. “Seems like this the only way,” he implied. “Foot it or we won' be catchin'at bus.”

Without hesitation, Jess presented herself. She went in and bravely took the first steps. Although it took her a minute to find herself the right balance, she's confident she would pull through.

Coming after her was Brenan. Although went to become a paramedic in a fire department, he was a firefighter; fear of heights has no place in him. 

Daeshim went in next. A combination of a wobbly bridge and legs of jelly couldn't be more bad. 

“Relax, I gotcha',” Dwain cheered as he followed after him. 

The bridge became a little bit more shaky as all four of them stepped in. Its wooden floor squeaks every step they take. Each set of eyes stood honed and hands tight with their weapons.

Out of shallow curiosity, Brenan dared to fearlessly catch nonchalant peeks underneath while moving. The medic was pretty sure he caught some dead bodies scattered around the brook beneath, but he couldn't tell the infected from not. He then brought his head back and proceeded. 

In the meantime, Jess' sharp visions hooked a figure from afar. Large, short, stubby. A Boomer. It suddenly appeared out of nowhere. 

The nun halted and immediately clenched herself around the submachine gun. She locked the Boomer in her crosshairs. Three shots. 

It was then followed by a distant and recognizable explosion. 

“Damn gal,” Brenan reacted. “That was like, what, a hundred and 50?” 

Jess lowered her gun and responded, “Target's big.” 

“Wow. Humility.” Brenan commented. “That's new.”

In less than a few seconds, they felt more shaking. The bridge became more unstable. 

His senses urged Dwain to turn behind. 

Suddenly there are they, a handful of zombies bolting in. 

“Shit!” 

The mature male quickly shrunk in a stance and opened fire. 

The zombies successively dropped to the wooden surface. But they were followed by another group. 

“Oh hell!” Brenan exclaimed. He shot a look at the other side of the bridge and found more zombies inbound.