6.4

It may have cost them a huge slice of their time, but Walter eventually found the right key to the boiler room. They are currently afoot throughout the pathways that lead to the maintenance tunnels.

Granger's radio emitted a short static sound, followed by Cody's distorted voice.

"Lieutenant, we swept the whole floor, no sign of the kid anywhere."

The lieutenant responded. "You can't stop searching until you find him. Expand your search. Are you able to go to the upper floors?"

"We'll try." Cody replied as they were traveling upstairs.

But as the two reached the floor, they were greeted by a crowd's severed and bloodthirsty faces. The yellowish glimmers on the zombies' eyes gave Dan and Cody an eerie impression.

"Oh shit!" The dyke exclaimed and halted, while still pushing the talk button of her radio.

The infected unleashed their monstrous cries before bolting towards the pair's direction.

"Go!" Cody bawled as they rushed back downstairs.

Granger heard the ruckus from the radio, "Corporal, what's happening?" he checked.

Cody clutched her radio while running. "We're compromised! Gonna get somewhere to hide!"

Muffled suppressed gunshots and beastly shrieks came bouncing throughout the dreadful hallways.

They didn't have more MIST grenades left to divert the horde. They're empty-handed.

Cody cut off her shots and scurried back to the first floors. Panting. She was chasing her breath while being chased.

Upon that, the female corporal caught a glimpse of a familiar large vault. With impeccably quick thinking, she turned to Dan and called him out.

"Dan! Over here!"

The soldier depleted his magazine before bolting towards the vault. They then worked together to pull the large, heavy, and thick reinforced metal, closing it.

They catch their breaths for a few seconds before realizing they locked themselves up in the armory. It would be a good opportunity for them to re-stock, but they are enclosed inside a concrete and thick room with the zombies scattering right outside.

Cody then clenched her radio and spoke to Granger. "Lieutenant, we boxed ourselves in the armory. We should be safe here." she breathily informed them.

Somehow, the radio signals were somewhat clear enough for everyone to understand despite the fortification of the armory. Cody thought it may be because of the air vents above the ceilings.

Granger replied. "Good to know, corporal. Stand by and we'll tell you once we get out; we're gonna come back for you."

"Rog',"

Metallic clangs rang off as Walter closed the door upon reaching the underground tunnels.

On the other hand, Brenan roamed his vision around the underground tunnels they are now in. Barely dark. Sets of beacons provide pitchy rays of light throughout the entire place.

But not only that. The tunnels are also pretty large and wide. There are many detours and rooms. Walls are made of solid concrete. Appears to be fortified despite its hoary appearance.

"Are we still gonna go fer escape? I mean these tunnels would make a plumb strong base." Brenan suggested.

"If you're planning to get buried here once everything goes sideways, yep." Walter claimed.